Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Homepage View Suggestion

ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
@Mark and @Lincoln: You might be interested in this idea. I was thinking about having another homepage view and that is when the root category as headings setting is enabled, have a view for showing only root categories and discussions (not subcategories).

For example, if I have two root heading as:
Topic 1 (contains subcategories)
Topic 2 (contains subcategories)

It would display those on the left and show discussions afterwards.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    We're not planning on making any more category/discussion views as we've got the spectrum of what most other forum packages offer in place right now. That being said you could easily do this in a theme or as a plugin and see if people like/prefer it. If they do and it becomes a popular plugin, we'd reconsider either (a) adding it to core or (b) adding the plugin to the core package download...
  • For example, if I have two root heading as:
    Topic 1 (contains subcategories)
    Topic 2 (contains subcategories)

It would display those on the left and show discussions afterwards.
    I like the idea, but can you explain this in more detail?
    Let's say my categories is games related. Action Games and Shooter Games (with subdirectories, so 2 levels deep.
    There's 1 game in either of the subdirectories of those categories:
    "Pacman" and "Call of Duty"
    How would you want to show it in your theme or in your plugin?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited February 2011
    Not sure how to show it in a theme but only the root categories will have their own boxes. It's like the categories view we already have except that it only with the root categories as if you had a root category called Action Games and the other root being Shooter Games then you would have two boxes.

Also, there is a bug with root categories being that people can post in them by choosing them in the dropdown while they are not linked in the categories sidebar panel.

• And you want to show boxes of the root categories in the sidepanel? Interesting :-)

Maybe we should discuss the bug in a separate thread :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited February 2011
    No, I meant the root categories would display on the left like normal (or depends on your theme). If you go to your Vanilla dashboard and go to the homepage settings you will see a view called "Categories & Discussions."

The view I'm thinking about is just like that except only root categories will show up (which are the bolded nonhyperlinked categories in the sidebar category panel), not subcategories.

Yes, I have made another discussion about the posting in root categories bug, maybe you will be interested in getting a fix for that as well. :)http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/14614/category-headings

For example, say your website had two topics: Laptops and Desktops. You made two root categories each called Laptops and Desktops and they each have their own subcategories. You set the homepage to "root categories homepage view" and then on the left will be two boxes, the first one being Laptops and the second Desktops, with all of the discussions from all of the subcategories under it.