Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Assigning a user a custom badge/title

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Any solutions for assigning a custom badge/title for a specific user? I'm starting a forum based around freelance and I wanted to assign certain users a badge or title indicating 'expert' status.

So the forum could have a "blogging expert" and a "programming expert" easily denoted by tiny badges/titles, preferably right next to their user name.

Ideas?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I'll likely just end up building something myself, probably where I print the username into the template as a span class, then use CSS to create the badge. But I'd prefer something a bit more automatic than having to single out users via CSS.

Something like an admin options page where you could just select the desired title would be ideal.
  • Options
    I'd be interested in this.
  • Options
    oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    @clarklab Probably the addon "Santa Hat" is a starting point, as it deals with modifying the user avatar?
  • Options
    I'm ashamed to admit this, but I just spent about an hour trying to figure out how to get the user role to echo in the discussion template, with no luck.

Anyone got any advice?

Trying to guess without extensive documentation isn't very fun.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    For those of you interested in a temporary solution, I went ahead and solved it with CSS. I noticed the avatar link has the user's name set as it's title, so as a quick fix I'm just targeting users by name, like so:
    a[title="clark"]:after {content: "Web Expert"; display:inline-block; //styles here }