Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Roles & Permissions not saving

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a new install of 2.0.17.8 on my MoWeS localhost.
I'm having trouble with members not being able to sign in because of the default permissions.
My problem is that changes made on the 'Edit Role' pages are not saved. AFter clicking the save button the checkbox boxes on the page return to being unchecked when you revisit the page again.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Comments

• I am having the same issue. I installed Vanilla 2 with a fresh install. I used the exporter to bring in my database and other feautures. My Garden settings will not save under Roles & Permissions! Categories settings can be saved. Please help.
  • tannerctannerc
    edited September 2011
    i am having this exact issue with latest release with latest install of Version 2.0.18b4-
    although the role, says permissions were saved, they were not?
    did you ever figure this out? Thanks

still cant save role permissions in dashboard as admin.
    noone is reading this im sure- as the issue is tagged as "fixed" on git hub.. so perhaps its me and my forum only...? But nonetheless anyone with any info will speed up my sanity...
    here's what ive noted: that regardless of install: 2.0.18b4 -2.0.18b2 or 2.0.17.10 -
    -(i have one of each setup on both testing server and testing site..have reinstalled about a million times each.. _)
    this issue only arises for me . AFTER i import data via vanilla2proxy into my site from a previous vanilla 2 install.
    -meaning i can save permissions PRIOR to importing .data -which is not really much help -
    this issue is breaking me doooown(kidding..kind of)
    thanks
    alli
    ps if anyone wants to help i ll send you link info- AND ill make you cupcakes
  • Guess ill answer this one. (Opinion- Vanilla is buggy and VERY limited. Wish more people would help them, could of been a good forum).

Anyway, the permissions won't save because you have a corrupted table (gdn_permissions).
    It will have duplicate entries from previous database imports. (Import code is buggy).

Copy permissions table before import -> import data -> use phpmyadmin or similar to import the specific table data for gdn_permissions that you saved before the import.

Hope this helps, took me hours tracking down the code in the dashboard models. To find out it wasn't saving because it thought it already had! (Corrupted tables returned what it thought it should be, where for some reason the "Actual" rows obviously weren't touched).

-Uniflare

• edited March 2012

Looks like I'm in the same boat. Anyway to reset them? Nothing I do seems to change them.

What about making new roles with fresh permissions? And moving users to them/deleting the old corrupt ones? Would this works?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@uniflare Could you be more specific about where this bug is? I'd like to get it patched.

• Thanks @uniflare !
    this issue has been taking up space and diverting my attention for months..
    I am off to try this -

• why don't you look at some of the other messages that pertain to roles and permissions and maybe it will solve your problem.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine : i have searched to the best of my ability - and this is honestly the first fix ive found that seems to directly relate to my issue- but im very open if you want to direct me to fix/suggestions that i could very well of missed.. thanks !

• maybe they are all interrelated. maybe get the latest 2.0.18.x version I know .3 works fine for me. If that doesn't work. consider building a scratch 2.0.18.1 permissions and role table and import those.

it is a lot of work but it might help.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19767/roles-permission-problem-gardenconversationsvanilla-plugins-not-showing-after-upgrade#Item_16

I'm just guessing at this.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thank you @peregrine so much- really appreciate the info..i do have the version 2.0.18.4-
    i had tried a clean install/import with 2.0.8.1 .and 2.0.7...didnt seem to work ..BUT
    i am now trying this again along with your and @uniflare's suggestions -on a clean 2.0.8.4 install -thnks again