Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SEO, Friendly URL, Meta....etc (Question, Help and advise)

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I’m looking at SEO, Friendly URLS, Meta data etc...basically all I’m interested in is if someone searches for something and my content is relevant then its displayed, I know this is an art to get a good page rating. I’m luck in a way as my blog and forum topic is about something rather specific.

When searching for the key name ‘Nystagmus’ (which is what my blog is about) I appear on page 2 of Google, which is great. I have been testing how Google finds data within my site;

I have a word press blog. If i copy a random selection of text from an article and paste it into Google.com it finds my blog article.

Using; http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html returns the following;

Title: 53Snowdon4Nystagmus Final Amount Raised | NystagmusBlog Description: 159We have now had all the sponsor money in for the Snowdon4Nystagmus 2011 fundraising event. We smashed our target of £500, we never thought we would be able to Keywords: 37charity,fundraising,snowdon4nystagmus

This looks ok to me.

Now if I do the same and copy random text from my vanilla forum discussion and past it into Google it finds the page, which is great.

Using; http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html returns the following;

Title: 49Clear and contrasting books - NystagmusBlog Forum

Question: No description or meta data was found, hence believe this isn’t created by vanilla. why isn’t a description and meta data generated - would having this improve the results? I don’t fully understand the important, but since wordpress adds this (I say wordpress buy i also use an SEO optimiser) and it is something the metatag analyser looks for it think it would be good idea for vanilla to include this information. Perhaps Vanilla TAGS could be used for the meta data? As I said I’m no expert, simply asking the question

Comments

• As I know today meta and description are not used for ranking. Or used extremely lightly.
    Vanilla have plugin for this (search for SEO). But it needs improving fi yu want this.