Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Testing a new setup

avantime4mikeavantime4mike ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've recently successfully upgraded my forum from Vanilla 1 to vanilla 2 but have done it whilst the forum was live, which, as a total novice, created some interesting visual effects for my users. My current setup is at mysite/vanilla and I was wondering whether I could make a completely new install at mysite/forum using the same database as the original. The purpose being to allow my members to continue using the forum "as is" whilst leaving me the space to tinker with an embedded version without disrupting the users experience.

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I highly suggest making a separate copy of the database as well and keeping the entire thing isolated from your main forum.
  • Options
    Thanks @Lincoln, Not what I was hoping as my host only provides two databases in my package and they are both in use. I'll just have to persevere and try not to disrupt users too much ;-)

I assume I could set up a database locally but that sounds even more complicated to me.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I would consider upgrading your hosting package or switching hosts. That's an extremely arbitrary limit. I know of hosting plans for $10/mo that offer unlimited MySQL databases.
  • Options
    My second database is used for a gallery application which to be honest is not that great. If I free up the second database and setup a new forum in mysite/forum, get it setup exactly as I want it, can I then simply swap databases and tell my users to use the new url?
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I would copy the files back to your current forum rather than changing the URL or you'll end up with a bunch of confused users (unless you set up an automatic redirect).

Personally, I always have an isolated copy of all my sites for testing. When the test copy is good & ready, I move it to the production site.