Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

VanillaForums.org Migration

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
We're going to be moving VanillaForums.org to a new set of servers today. There might be a short amount of downtime while we migrate the database, and after that our DNS will need to propagate as well.

I apologize in advance for this potential downtime, but the advantages are going to become evident in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your ongoing patience.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Comments

• Options
    Can you show step-by-step what you're doing while migrating. It's a good example for other users that want to migrate their sites too :-)

Will you be archiving old posts in the meantime?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    The migration is complete! If you can see the message at the top of the discussions page, you're all set to continue posting.
    Can you show step-by-step what you're doing while migrating. It's a good example for other users that want to migrate their sites too :-)
    Sure, a brief version.

1) Copy the uploads/ directory to the new server, and export a dump of the database.
    2) Import the database dump onto the new server, copy over the config.php file and get the site running. During this time, I had modified my computer's /etc/hosts file to point at the new IP.
    3) Once the site is verified working (no bugs), pause the real live site (UpdateMode).
    4) Take another dump of the DB, and rsync the uploads/ folder again to grab any changes since we last looked. Re-import the fresh DB snapshot into the new database server.
    5) Change DNS records to point to the new site, and add a message at the top of the new site that tells people they have arrived and can start posting.

As people's DNS switches over, they still stop seeing the "Maintenance Mode" screen, and be shown the enabled new site.

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    The avatar/profile pic doesn't seems to work (ie. mine: http://www.static.vanillaforums.org/uploads/n4DADJ5VKB7A5.jpg?ok) if you click on it, it goes to a deverror page.
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    And it seems to be missing some plugin by @Lincoln (prepending Solved, addon names, etc...)
  • Options
    Many avatar pics are gone, and entering anything in the Search form at the top triggers a SQL fatal error.
  • Options
    The addons and documentation applications have be re-enabled, and I'm still just waiting on some DNS to update, which will fix the avatars.

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    @Tim: Are you sure about the DNS, or is it the local cached queries from your own hosting?

Because I run a local caching DNS (on my gateway/media center), and after clearing it, that's the same.
  • Options
    I just recently added a record to handle the uploads. What do you get when you ping:

www.static.vanillaforums.org ?

• Options
    After I flushed my local DNS just a moment ago, it updated (67.23.6.231) and now my pictures and avatars work.

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    OK, my bad. I forgot that my win7 PC caches (ipconfig /flushdns), as well as the browser (restart once PC flushed)...
    It's fine now, thanks.
  • Options
    Seems to be disabled GeSHiSyntaxHighlighter plugin.
    Or just a time lag?
  • Options
    Is there a problem with forum search? Every time I have tried using it since migration (on I.E and chrome), I get a error page entitled:
    The used table type doesn't support FULLTEXT indexes.
    currently I have no way of searching for discussions, which is limiting me fixing a few issues on my own forum!
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.