Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The REVERSE of embed Vanilla

dudieboydudieboy New
edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I love the way Vanilla displays in mobile. However, if you embed Vanilla in a WordPress theme, you lose the full-screen mobile display. I've tried to counter this by adding a panel box message to the top of the forums that says "Mobile users CLICK HERE for a better view" with a link redirecting to the Vanilla install. However, this requires me to disable the "force Remote URL" option, which allows a bunch of URL problems to surface.

My site displays one theme for browsers and another for mobile. So I've been looking for a code to add to my mobile WP theme that would redirect the embed page to redirect to Vanilla. However, this just doesn't seem to be an option for the mobile theme alone; it could be done with the .htaccess or with the meta tags for the embedded page (via Custom Field) but that would mean redirecting the browser page too.

This plus the other embed Vanilla problems I mentioned here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/15626/url-problems#Item_1 have made me decide to give up on the plugin.

So now I've been working on a different approach: pulling the WordPress header, background image and footer into the default.master.tpl page of the Vanilla theme I'm using. The idea is to add the forums to my top menu as a link rather than a page, and when the user clicks on it he or she would arrive at Vanilla without knowing they've left WordPress. But I've been trying virtually everything listed on this page: http://codex.wordpress.org/Integrating_Wordpress_with_Your_Website#External_links but without much luck. Anything else I've found regarding integrating WordPress with Vanilla is outdated since I'm using Vanilla 2.

Has anyone had any luck adding the WordPress header and footer in their Vanilla theme?

Comments