Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bonk error only on mobile!

edited June 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Can i ask if anyone has experience the Bonk page appearing only on a mobile.

When accessing on a desktop or Laptop it is fine.

Strange one i know...
Tagged:

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    What version are you using?
  • Anymore info Todd?
    I'm going to need you to change your masterpage to the deverror.master and tell me your specific error.
  • Todd - Thank you very much i did that and found the error. All is now sorted you are a legend
    Hey, how about sharing the solution! It's nice to be able to help other people that might come across the same problem. It's the least you can do to contribute.
  • I had the same error, and after enabling the dev messages, it had the following directory that it couldn't write to:
    cache/Smarty/compile

I 777ed the directory and it's now working
  • I am experiencing the "Bonk error only on mobile" problem, too,

Environment info . . .
    Version: Vanilla 2.0.18.4 installed using SimpleScripts
    Host: Hostmonster.com (add-on domain)
    Mobile device: Safari on an iPhone using iOS 5.

I've unsuccessfully tried changing permissions for the directory . . .
    /public_html//forum/vanilla/cache/Smarty/compile
    . . . from 755 to 777. (I've also changed the permissions from 644 to 777 for the file named "empty" that was enclosed in this directory.)

Another thing I've tried that did not work is creating this directory . . .
    /public_html/cache/Smarty/compile
    . . . with permissions set to 777.

• personally, I've stopped answering bonk error messages if the person doesn't post their debug results. It's too hard to figure out if the problem is the same in me too messages.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I did make an effort to be concise, and my hope was to contribute something that might help others--specifically, that the "fix" that was working for others doesn't always work. Or rather the explanation wasn't completely idiot-proof.

I'm new to Vanilla and PHP. I am so ignorant of PHP that I don't even know how to comment out a line of code. Had I known that error messages are expected I would have done my best to figure out how to find them and would have been posted them.

I'm sure you intended to be helpful, peregrine. With over a 1,000 posts here you've certainly devoted an astounding amount of your time pitching in.

That said, there was more to my post than "me too". I took care to share information I hoped would be relevant to others. I wasn't careless; I didn't ramble. I wrote with the intent to help as much as with the hope of being helped.

Dismissive responses don't exactly contribute much to the discussion.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

o4tuna said:
    I did make an effort to be concise,

yes. your points are taken.

I'm new to Vanilla and PHP. I am so ignorant of PHP that I don't even know how to comment out a line of code. Had I known that error messages are expected I would have done my best to figure out how to find them and would have been posted them.>

but your second response still did not provide the debug output. Do you want to get some help. As far as newness to php, vanilla, etc - My solution was to read some tutorials on the web and the documentation and the wiki and to read as many messages on the discussion board as I could.

I'm sure you intended to be helpful, peregrine. With over a 1,000 posts here you've certainly devoted an astounding amount of your time pitching in.>

Actually, I was frustrated, because the thing that is mentioned in nearly every bonk discussion is turn on your debugging and show the results. how to do that can be found in a myriad of places - in these discussions at least 10-20x in the past month or two, on the wiki, and in the documentation. You may have overlooked this, but now you know.

That said, there was more to my post than "me too". I took care to share information I hoped would be relevant to others. I wasn't careless; I didn't ramble. I wrote with the intent to help as much as with the hope of being helped.>

It was only a me too in the sense you had the same problem. but either you had a different error message or you didn't know what to do as evidenced by (my only point here is that the error message under the debugging would tell you exactly what directory path it had trouble with and if you had posted the error message you might have got the help you needed without everybody guessing what the exact error message is) :

I've unsuccessfully tried changing permissions for the directory . . . /public_html//forum/vanilla/cache/Smarty/compile . . . from 755 to 777. (I've also changed the permissions from 644 to 777 for the file named "empty" that was enclosed in this directory.)

Another thing I've tried that did not work is creating this directory . . . /public_html/cache/Smarty/compile . . . with permissions set to 777. >

Dismissive responses don't exactly contribute much to the discussion.>

True. Perhaps I shouldn't have responded at all. But then again, maybe somebody will know why I personally won't answer anymore bonk messages without somebody posting their debug output, and why others may be frustrated - because that is always the next question and if you scan other bonk questions - you will see in many - they say to turn on debugging and ... see underdog's signature.

But, I'll give you the credit you deserve you did state exactly what you tried.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @o4tuna first of all, when you 'bump' a really old topic (that's not even your own) it's frowned upon, please don't do that again. Second, don't bump old topics if you have (almost) nothing to add, in other situations it's known as 'topic hijacking', please don't do that again.
    Next time, just make your own topic.
    Users like peregrine can not help you unless you post the details of your bonk error. This time you can post those details in this thread, since it's messed up now anyways.

There was an error rendering this rich post.