HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Developer Forum

ddumontddumont ✭✭
@Todd I understand that you guys seem to have 1 category into which all questions here flow... but it would be really nice to have a dev forum.

What do you guys think about this scenario:
Create a category for developers and hide it for all people who do not have a developer role on the forum. Create a sticky for people to post for access. This thread can be monitored by a moderator (I'd volunteer for a while)

Not sure if the mod tools are currently that fine grained, but... it's an idea.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Tagged:

Comments

• great idea
  • there would need to be a page/link explaining the process to gain access
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Yes, it's a great idea. I want .org to get its categories back, but only have fewer categories.

A developer category would definitely be on the list. I think public to view, developer to add is okay though.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2011
    Definitely onboard with bringing categories back and adding one for developers. It's extremely hard to parse thru everything looking for devs who just need a nudge vs. levels of help I don't always have time to provide.
  • It makes sense.
    And I hope that localization forum will be separated too.
    Most of localization issues are completely different from plugin development.
    I think that 'Where is my translation code?' question is like some kinda noise for someone who is not interested in localization.
  • Hey this is very nice idea...!!
  • edited June 2011
    Hey this is very nice idea 2...!!
  • It makes sense.
    And I hope that localization forum will be separated too.
    I think that 'Where is my translation code?' question is like some kinda noise for someone who is not interested in localization.

• And I hope that localization forum will be separated too.
    Good idea!
  • ive been wanting to start a thread asking about the ability to create a new forum from a single install of vanilla. This would be a good opportunity to create such a feature for this purpose.
  • Your welcome to use my vanillaplugins.com domain for this if you want to separate consumer and developers.
  • idea was more so based around incorporating a new feature to allow all users to create a new separate forum but from the same single install. I appreciate the offer though. One would have to assume if this was the route to be taken, they would just through up a new forum on the vforums.com portion of the site, which makes me think... this type of multiple forums from one install may already exists and is being used on the .com
    @ddumont, since you are the one who inspired the developer category I figured I should move your suggestion to it as the first post!
  • Hell yeah! Thanks guys!

• i think the developer forums should be in a separate location, dev.vanillaforums.org ... or /dev etc.

• @bobtheman you can achieve the same thing by making a route from /dev to /discussions/developers maybe they will. I think it's cosmetic more than anything though...

@bobtheman, we tried that and it didn't work.

You are a developer, right?
  • beginner in programming, not very active on this specific project code wise.