Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

reset roles

edited June 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I did an import from phpbb. It worked fine but all the default roles in vanilla were removed and just replaced with role names from my phpbb forums but with no permissions set.

Is there anyway to reset the roles in vanilla and then just add all the users to the members role? I found this in the docs but it does not specify what permission the default roles actually have.
http://vanillaforums.org/docs/configuration-dashboardusersrolespermissions
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    You are going to probably have to manually add the roles. Members usually have the following permissions:
    • Sign in
    • All view permissions
    • Add comments and discussions
    Make note of the role id for the member role. You can see this in the link when you hover over edit on the Roles & Permissions page.

Finally, you can run the following SQL to add everyone to the members role:
    insert ignore GDN_UserRole(UserID, RoleID)
    select UserID, YourRoleIDHere
    from GDN_User
    where Admin = 0
  • Options

Just looking at this myself. We should be able to determine default roles from a fresh Vanilla database install, no?

Actually, a 'reset roles' button wouldn't be a bad feature idea, but I'm happy to go do it with SQL.

I may also look at the code in Porter. It seems that the import script wiping out roles is not such a good idea - even with the warning that it's done so. ;) (By definition, people using that script are almost certain to be new users and make some resulting dumb mistakes - that's certainly what I did!)