Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

500 Internal Server Error during install

edited June 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,
We're currently trying to install Vanilla on our site so that we can switch over from phpBB. I originally had the PDO problem, but I have seemingly gotten around that using the PHPPDO solution found here on these forums.

Now, however, whenever I run the installation process after putting in the information, it always dumps me to a 500 Internal Server Error, saying "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request." and "Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I know there are threads about this here already, but the solutions there haven't fixed it for me.

PHP version is 5.3.6
MySQL version is 5.0.92

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us. We really want to use Vanilla.

Answers

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    500 is a web server issue.
    So it's surent related to its configuration.
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Look in your apache server's error_log logfile for the specific error.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    edited June 2011
    umm, how do I do that? Kinda new with this stuff. Can I get to that through cPanel?

I've been looking for the proper error log and haven't been able to find it anywhere. I'm not running the server myself, by the way, it's a hosting site.
  • Options
    hyphyhyphy New
    edited June 2011
    Most likely due to FollowSymLinks being off.

Add the following to your .htaccess file in Vanilla's root folder and report back!

Options +FollowSymlinks RewriteEngine on
  • Options
    nope, I still get the 500 error after adding that to Vanilla's .htaccess file, hyphy.
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    As you don't have the logs or the configuration, there's not much that can be done by us.
    I'd say contact your host.