Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Changing email format

edited July 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
So, I've looked around in all the different files, and I've found the files that actually define the email templates, but I still can't figure out how to do what I'm wanting to do.

Basically, I just want to change the subject of 'bookmarked discussion comment' notifications to:

[forumName] New comment on threadName!

This will let the emails thread properly in modern email clients, as the current format of 'Username has commented on your bookmarked discussion' is pretty useless for that. This causes email clients to thread them based on a user's activity, instead of the activity on the thread, which is all me and my users are going to care about.

I see in the database, the subject lines are defined like:

%1$s commented on your %8$s.

And I see what I believe are the definitions for those formats in applications/vanilla/settings/structure.php:

/// %1 = ActivityName
/// %2 = ActivityName Possessive
/// %3 = RegardingName
/// %4 = RegardingName Possessive
/// %5 = Link to RegardingName's Wall
/// %6 = his/her
/// %7 = he/she
/// %8 = RouteCode & Route

But I have no idea what to change to make the subject line look like what I want. Any tips?