Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Forum migration question

RajioRajio
edited July 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This may be a dumb question and it requires some explanation...

I have a live vanilla (.17) forum running on server A. I wanted to develop a new theme and do some tweaks but I didnt want to disrupt my live forum so I installed vanilla (the latest beta version) on server B, developed the theme, and did all the tweaks I wanted (set up the plugins I want, tweaked some files here and there like the cleditor toolbar for example)

The beta forum on server B is now working 100% how I want my live forum to work.

Would it be problematic if I simply erase all the files from server A, copy over the files from server B, and manually adjusted the database info in config.php to reflect the live site?

One reason I want to just purge server A is to clean out old files and perhaps old bugs to boot. I also figure this will save me a lot of re-configuring that i'd already done on the beta site.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks. backing up my site now. just wanted to make sure i wasn't doing somemething stupid.
  • okay @luc things seem to have gone smoothly for the most part.

one problem im having now, is with the facebook and twitter plugins. if i try to enable them i get

file_put_contents(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/tmp/configaVVmED) is not within the allowed path(s): (/usr/libexec/php5-cgi/share/pear/::/usr/local/pem/vhosts/104075)

...what does this even mean? :S
  • nevermind - set permission 777 to cache and conf and it worked out.