HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Unable to cancel vanillaforums.com account

erlend_sherlend_sh New
edited August 2011 in Root
I am unable to cancel my vanillaforums.com account. Pressing the "Cancel my account" button opens the "Confirm Account Cancellation" prompt. However, pressing "Yes, Cancel My Account" is ineffectual. It does nothing. I hope you can see how this can be interpreted rather harshly.

I might as well add that my reason for canceling my account was due to the fact that I opted to delete my forum, at erlendsh.vanillaforums.org. It was an empty forum made for testing purposes. It was relevant again now as I am writing a review of open source SaaS solutions. In the admin backend I apparently had the option to rename the sub-domain of my forum, so I tried that adding a new name. According to the admin panel the name change was successful, but when I directed my browser to the new domain I received an error. I can't recall the error returned, sorry.

Anyhow, that's when I decided to delete my forum, thinking it would let me create a new one. I couldn't. That's when I decided I might as well cancel my account all together then, and create a new one.

Even without using Vanilla on one of my own websites I've been recommending it left and right for a long time. Right now, I'm disappointed to say the least.

Comments

• Options
    In the admin backend I apparently had the option to rename the sub-domain of my forum, so I tried that adding a new name. According to the admin panel the name change was successful, but when I directed my browser to the new domain I received an error.
    Did you direct your browser to the new subdomain within minutes / 1 hour after you changed the name of your subdomain?
    Maybe the change hadn't been processed by the server yet. Give it time. If the process (which usually happens during the night) hasn't been succeeded after a full day then ask the support guys. You know their email address, right?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    I realize I might have acted too quickly with regards to the subdomain change, but that's beyond the point now.

Since I opted to delete my forum, I'm left with two options, neither of which seems to be possible though:
    - Make a new forum on my existing account; there is no option in my admin backend that lets me create a new forum.
    - Delete my account and re-register; as explained, I am unable to press "Yes, Cancel My Account". I have tried it in Chrome, Firefox and IE.

• Options
    So... contact the support guys, send them an email and let them find a solution.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Hi @erlend_sh, sorry you had trouble with your account. Would you mind emailing support@vanillaforums.com so the team can take care of it for you?
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @erlend_sh

Sorry for the trouble! We're actually in the middle of quite a large internal shift towards a new account management platform, and the current one is struggling a little.

I went and took a look at your account. The forum you mentioned is deleted and you should be able to sign up for a new forum using that name.

Part of the reason we're making big changes is because a lot of the account management workflows are a little bit difficult to follow. For example, it is not clear that you can create additional forums on your account simply by visiting the Plans and Pricing page on the .com site (http://vanillaforums.com/plans) and signing up for a new forum. When entering your Email, Username and Password on that page, use the same credentials as your existing account.

I'll look into the Cancel Account bug. Thanks for your report, and sorry again for your troubles!

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]