Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Trying to figure out why "X" (close button) gets pushed outside of the edit details pop-up box

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
At first glance it looks like a CSS margin/padding thing but I've tried a variety of popup classes, removing CSS and nothing seems to make it stay within the pop-up box.

This is kind of a big deal for the average user who has no idea how to close the box.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    yep if the other popups are working don't mess. I would inspect with firefox. I haven't go time look into this, but these problems are usually solvable.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• Have you used absolute positioning? top tip margins can be negative, so if you need to move left relative to where it is use margin-left:-5px; etc.

grep is your friend.

• I haven't edited the aboutme CSS file or the vanilla master one this is just what the aboutme plugin does "out of the box" so to speak... I can't quite figure out why it doesn't behave like the other popup dialog boxes within vanilla.

I haven't tried re-jigging the position I'm not really sure what to actually edit in the master .css that won't break the other popup boxes.

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    yep if the other popups are working don't mess. I would inspect with firefox. I haven't go time look into this, but these problems are usually solvable.

grep is your friend.

• edited October 2011
    Good advice, inspecting with chrome (FF wouldn't work) and found that the h2 tag was not where it is supposed to be (it should be above the form tag and not anywhere inside it).

In about_edit.php I moved (h2)About Me(/h2) from line 32 to line 2 (in between the php commands) and the popup box is drawing itself properly. Thanks!
  • @Lazarus yep, sorry that was a bug I just recently found, it was because I had tags out of order. Will be updated in the next release.

• Hi I recently spen 2 days modifiing this plugin it was difficult for me considering I had no idea what I was doing.

I think the cause of the X not appearing correctly is because on or some of the form elements is to wide because I have removed some form elements and the X looks like it is in the correct position.

my site is www.thermalzombie.com

• it looks like you got it figured out @thermalzombie, or took out a bunch of the form elements -> to get the Edit My Details Popup to look like the others that come with Vanilla do what @Lazurus describes.

To manipulate the "x" button directly -> look at the .css regarding a.Close around Line 1752 in the default style.css -> for some reason that div is called Foot, even though it's displayed at the top ?? Anyways, copy that section into your custom.css and go from there.

Nice clean theme ya got there ... Cheers