Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I am new to all of this. I would like to know how to make a forum from scratch

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I do not know how to set up a local host, database, or any of that. Can someone refer me to where to find all this information? I would like to create a up and running forum but do not have the know how.

Answers

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    if you are going to run localhost on windows pc - then you can download and install XAMPP or WAMP
    if you are on MAC then you can install MAMP.
    then go through their details how to set them up and how to manage them - their phpmyadmin etc and where to set up a website in localhost. this usually will take time since you are a beginner.
    after this if you know how to run a php page and set up a new MySQL database on localhost - then you are set to go.
    and how to install vanilla on localhost is there in documentation - you can go through documentation here and set up vanilla on your localhost.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Beginners very rarely work on localhost , albeit I know this was mentioned in the original question. Perhaps I am wrong, but does the OP wish to launch a publically viewable forum on the internet ? If thats the case ...

.. then we can be more specific.

• I do not know how to set up a local host, database, or any of that. Can someone refer me to where to find all this information? I would like to create a up and running forum but do not have the know how.
    I would seriously consider purchasing vanilla's paid hosting then. I have no idea how to fix my car, so I pay a mechanic (yes, I grumble while doing it, but I still do it) so that it's done right and I don't have to worry.

If this is all hobby work, then yeah, feel free to play and learn. But please don't expect anyone here to hand-hold. There's tons of information you'll need to ramp up on, such as how to install a webserver (ngix, apache, etc) a database backend (usually mysql, but you have other options too) and php.

You can read about LAMP servers (linux, apache, mysql and php) which are common setups that come in a variety of linux flavors. It may seem daunting, but you have to learn to crawl before you can walk, and there aren't many around here (or anywhere for that matter) who will carry you for free.

• Okay I am running mac and I am just interested in starting a publicly online viewable forum. My purpose here is to learn so I am open to any help. Someone said that beginners don't usually work with a local host. If that is the case what do they use? If nobody wants to explain I just want to learn. How did you learn is there another forum that could help me learn how to start a forum with all the steps for someone without this knowledge?
  • Most people purchase generic web hosting. Picking the right host for the right price takes research. If you want to manage machines yourself, you can consider using amazon web services. You get better scale, but have to manage the server yourself.