Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Does Vanilla have a web chat feature?

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am looking to set up a chat room on my website so my visitors can chat with each other. Does Vanilla have a chat system that's easy to customize? I used Ajax it look to me hard not easy to customize. I am looking for open source one. I used phpfreechat, that did not work for me. In the license it says it is open source, still restriction on it says you can not change Theme etc.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Vanilla does not have a web chat feature.

• Options

@sanna, Vanilla doesn't have a web chat feature, but you always have the option to embed one from external =)

• Options

Vanilla may not have a web chat feature, but it has an awesome AJAX refresh feature for comments. Go to Dashboard > Forum > Advanced and set "Refresh Comments" to "Every 5 seconds".
    Next best thing imo ;)

• Options

apples and oranges. vanilla is a forum.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Comet chat seems to be preferred chat system around. Similar to facebook

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

http://ajaxim.com I have been looking at this for awhile, haven't got around to trying it out or integrating it with vanilla yet.

• Options
    edited December 2011

I just installed one on my site earlier that is from wibiya.com
    Here's what it looks like on my page http://www.dougsoutdoors.net/
    (look at bottom of page)

Only problem i can see with it, is that when you browse the forum, the chat disconnects. I'm going to be contacting wibiya.com to see if there's a fix for it.

I should probably add, the wibiya one lets users login with facebook and other social ID's so they can log into your site and then into the chat using facebook, twitter, etc very easily.