Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

recaptcha failures on registration page on a localhost

BeyBey
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I installed Vanilla 2.18.1 on a local host using Apache (most recent 5.x) server under wamp.
Not sure whether this is an important fact but, as the local host machine also runs IIS, I modified the apache configuration file to listen on port 3000.
I got Vanilla working with the first user i created during the first session and am able to log out and back in.
However, when i try to register a new user, after i click the Sign In button of the Apply for Membership page i get:

To use reCAPTCHA you must get an API key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin/create

I read about the reCaptcha and have gotten some keys but (having no experience in web site programming and implementation) i have no clue as to how it all fits together, what to do with the keys and how to move forward.

Is it the case that one set of public and private keys will work for all registrant on a given site (i.e: one set per site)?

When getting a set of keys for a site on the local host (like my installation) - what is an appropriate string to place in the domain: text box on Google's Captcha site (https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin/create)?

As i am trying to learn the ropes, i would really like to disable recaptcha on that (localhost) site.

Short of that, i need to understand what needs to be done in Vanilla or the localhost server go be able to register new memberships.

I also have a web site at fatcow. I installed Vanilla there (it is one of the supported packages) and was able to register new members.

Please help an inexperienced soul.

Thanks

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

You can enter your recaptcha keys on in you dashboard under registration. If you want to disable recaptcha then you can set the following in your config.php:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic';

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

You can enter your recaptcha keys on in you dashboard under registration. If you want to disable recaptcha then you can set the following in your config.php:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic';