Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

PostApproval plugin released!

jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Finally released my PostApproval plugin to the Addons page here at vanillaforums.org, I was waiting until I could figure out how to make it work without manual changes to the core code, and the solution was a lot easier than I thought. The plugin includes the modified files for the comments, discussions, and vanillasearch models. It's not the greatest solution but at least it works and shouldn't permanently bork your forums if something goes wrong.

Let me know how it performs and if you notice any glaring bugs. I've released it as a beta for now as I didn't have time to do a lot of testing.

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP

Will check this out today, good onya Jon

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Was looking for this. Thank you!

• Nice plugin. Well done @jspautsch

• After i installed the plug in my board crashed...now i can't restore it back to normal....Can someone please help me out

konpaevents.com/newsboard.html#/

Thanks

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

What version of Vanilla do you use?

• Now i removed the postapproval-plugin - i got this error message > Fatal error: Call to undefined method Gdn::applicationmanager() in /home/konpaeve/public_html/newsboard/index.php on line 48>

You removed the plugin files without disabling it via the dashboard first you mean?

• ... and now he's crossposting...
    @konpaevents first read this thread:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/17954/food-for-thought-forum-etiquette
    Set it as your homepage. For every action you take on this forum, first read the etiquette thread and then see if you still want to take that action.

Now for your solution. How did you disable the PostApproval plugin?

Consider re-installing your forum, making a backup, installing the plugins 1 by 1 and making a backup after you've installed each plugin.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

The original error you got was probably a conflict with another plugin, and the second sounds like you deleted the PostApproval plugin files without first disabling the plugin.

• Very nice!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited March 2012

@jspautsch Nice plugin. I highly recommend using CommentModel_FunctionToOverride_Create()-style methods in your main plugin file though rather than packaging modified copies of the Comment, Discussions, and Search models. That's going to make this a headache to maintain. I can't deploy it with that broad of overrides in it.

Lincoln said:
    @jspautsch Nice plugin. I highly recommend using CommentModel_FunctionToOverride_Create()-style methods in your main plugin file

You can do that? Sweet! Update inc.

Hmmm, although, won't that only work if the function doesn't already exist? I seem to remember that being a limitation...

• I like the concept. However, I don't really want to hold all new posts for approval; I just want to hold the initial posts from new members--those who have yet to prove themselves as "trusted" (to mostly block spammers and the like); call it an introductory/probationary period. Once a member makes valid posts, he/she can become "trusted" and posts would no longer be held (unless some currently trusted member starts making "problem" posts and gets him-/herself set back to "untrusted"). Is something like this a planned option? Thanks.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

jspautsch said:
    Hmmm, although, won't that only work if the function doesn't already exist? I seem to remember that being a limitation...

override will do just that, override any other function with that name. if you don't declare override then it needs to be a new function name.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

GlennAllen said:
    I like the concept. However, I don't really want to hold all new posts for approval; I just want to hold the initial posts from new members--those who have yet to prove themselves as "trusted" (to mostly block spammers and the like); call it an introductory/probationary period. Once a member makes valid posts, he/she can become "trusted" and posts would no longer be held (unless some currently trusted member starts making "problem" posts and gets him-/herself set back to "untrusted"). Is something like this a planned option? Thanks.

i don't use this plugin, but it should be role based, so you just create a probationary membership role, and use this to capture all of the posts from users with that role.

hbf said:

jspautsch said:

override will do just that, override any other function with that name. if you don't declare override then it needs to be a new function name.

Where you do declare override? The syntax Lincoln mentioned was Model_Function_Create()

• GlennAllen's suggestion is also what I was looking for. If this addon would support that, then it's perfect :)