Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How do I make a better category listing in Vanilla?

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I desire to use the "ALL CATEGORIES" page as my home page. I have started to build my Category and Sub Category listings, when I checked the page out all my listings are in a linear column, Why in the world do this when we have so much space on this page?

Is there a plug-in or add-on that can be used to give me a more efficient system to organize my links?

Also if anyone has some solutions they used can you supply a link to your page and share with us how you accomplished this?

Is there a way to add images in the category space to make the page more beautiful?

I feel this is a fix that needs to be addressed. We have the fancy car but the interior and paint details are very crude.

Why not make a Portal format as an option using Boxes for each category and listings within the boxes.

I need a better look for this page!

Thanks

Answers

• Options

Why not make a Portal format as an option using Boxes for each category and listings within the boxes

Make a screenshot of how you would like it or show an url with an example

Do you want it like http://www.dmoz.org/ ? But then fancier

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Opportunity - there's a reason it's called Vanilla.

It is designed to be the 'springboard' from which individual users can tailor it to their own needs.

Also, asking so many questions on a single thread, you are less likely to get the help you need.

Try to be clear about what you need for a single issue at a time.

If you want to make changes to the theme you will really need to get the hang of using something like Firebug in Firefox to see how the pages are set up, and what you need to change. There's no real way around getting stuck into the css.

• Options

@UnderDog I am using OpenClassifieds for my program and find their default page rather nice. Check it out @ http://classifieds.opportunity-global.com/adz/ it's a simple look and feel but this is close to what I can see for Vanilla.

even the image viewer would be a cool way to present the forum. Thanks for you assistance. Have a great day.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

I'm not seeing any styling for the link supplied

Anyway this can be done with css, you

would use ul.CategoryList (of certain fixed width) as your container then float li.Item set at a percentage fixed width and decent height. If you have a browser tool that allows you to mess around with css, you can see for yourself.

The reason why, it is is not necessary to have that theme, it is a different style a preference. These of styling concerns are the least of their worries.

I recommend HtmlDog books if you want to learn this sort of thing.

grep is your friend.