Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Process message (discussion and conversations)

theallantheallan New
edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello all,

I'm currently looking at creating a little plug-in for my forum that will send me a mail (performing logic checking and formatting the mail, so the built in notification isn't what I'm looking for) when a user posts a comment, starts a new discussion or sends a conversation message. I'm not sure what I can hook into to check this.

Is there an event or something that covers both discussions and conversations?

Thanks,
Allan

Answers

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

did you look into the built-in notification code to see if you can just leverage the same hooks?

• I've been digging around the conversations source, but it doesn't look like there are any suitable events that I can hook onto. In the Save function for "class.conversationmodel.php" it doesn't fire any events at all. There is the notification that the conversation fires off, but I don't see how I could hook onto that.

Any suggestions on how to write a plug-in that sees messages both in the main forum and conversations are very welcome indeed!

Allan

• Oh damn - I clicked Accept by mistake... The events list is useful, but it doesn't appear to show something I can use in this case.

Allan

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

you can have an email sent to u when a user start a Discussion or posts a comment but i dont think u can get an email when user sends CONVERSATION message - because they are kind of private messages

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• You can get an email when someone send you a message, but I want to create my own notification rather than using the built in e-mail option (as noted above).

I just don't know how to hook on to either the notification system to intercept those notifications and also do my own, or how to hook on to the messages being saved to then do my notification.

Allan