Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Installing Themes: "Bonk"

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi There,
I am on a fresh install of Vanilla Forums, with nothing changed. I extracted the theme into my themes by FTP, and went back to my Vanilla Forums admin panel. In the themes section I activated it, and went to my forums. I got this error, until I changed back to the default theme. This happens with any theme I install!
Thanks,
James Allison!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

You can see what the actual problem is if you get past the 'Bonk' message.

You need to access the Vanilla/conf folder on your webserver, and

if you are using vanilla >= 2.0.18 Put

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE; `

and if its < 2.0.18 put

`$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';`

in your config.php file.

This will give you a detailed error message, rather than the 'Bonk' one. Once you have that, either it will help you see what to do, or else you can post another question, asking specifically about the error.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012 Answer ✓

I think the problem is you copied whu606 and he left `` in his code block, which are related to markdown, but not parsed within pre tags.

Delete that line and insert:

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug']  = TRUE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';

grep is your friend.

Answers

• MupetzMupetz New
    edited February 2012

After changing a theme, try deleting .ini files from the /cache folder. and tpl.php ones from cache/Smarty/compile

Then refresh your forum

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

You can see what the actual problem is if you get past the 'Bonk' message.

You need to access the Vanilla/conf folder on your webserver, and

if you are using vanilla >= 2.0.18 Put

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE; `

and if its < 2.0.18 put

`$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';`

in your config.php file.

This will give you a detailed error message, rather than the 'Bonk' one. Once you have that, either it will help you see what to do, or else you can post another question, asking specifically about the error.

• Okay, this is what it says now I have put that line in the config:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /mnt/stor3-wc2-dfw1/485991/www.jaycraft.co/web/content/vanilla/conf/config.php on line 42

This is line 42 of my config:
    $Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Content'] = 'a:6:{i:0;s:13:"MessageModule";i:1;s:7:"Notices";i:2;s:21:"NewConversationModule";i:3;s:19:"NewDiscussionModule";i:4;s:7:"Content";i:5;s:3:"Ads";}';

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012 Answer ✓

I think the problem is you copied whu606 and he left `` in his code block, which are related to markdown, but not parsed within pre tags.

Delete that line and insert:

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug']  = TRUE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';

grep is your friend.

• edited February 2012

Okay, I got the error report to come up now. It says this:
    http://pastie.org/3433651

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    edited February 2012

create a folder vanilla/cache/Smarty/compile - this folder was deleted so you need to create this folder and this will be working again

or if this folder is there then u need to change its permissions to writable - error states it was not able to write into it

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• sahotataran said:
    create a folder vanilla/cache/Smarty/compile - this folder was deleted so you need to create this folder and this will be working again

or if this folder is there then u need to change its permissions to writable - error states it was not able to write into it

Thank you very much! The problem is now resolved.