Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Documentation] [Solved] Strange sign-in problem (cookie domain for non-www)

brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I just noticed that on my newly setup forum, if I'm signed in on my site at URL www.mydomainname.com (that's not my real domain name) and I open a new tab of the browser (Chrome), and access the site as mydomainname.com (without 'www') it doesn't recognize that I'm signed in. It shows me the page with the sign in options.

Is it a Vanilla issue, or my domain issue, or a browser issue? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited March 2012 Answer ✓

When you set up your domain, did you change the .htaccess?

After you set up your forum, did you delete any cookies?

(another one for the vanilla wiki)

2 links to forum topics:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/6851/www-cookie-issue-resolved

and

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/51611#Comment_51611

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @UnderDog - yes, the problem is the same as mentioned on those 2 posts. But I can't figure out where to change the cookie domain. I don't have a conf/settings.php in my installation. I have not modified .htaccess after setting up the domain.

Where should I set the cookie domain?

Thanks for your help.

• brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
    edited March 2012

@UnderDog - I got it. Now we can set it under conf/config.php like so:

$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain']                    = '.mydomainname.com';

Edited: Yes, after deleting the cookies, and signing in again into my forum, I confirm that the problem is resolved.

Thanks so much for your help.