Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Admin can't delete a post (Tagging Enhanced plugin was culprit)

brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I just made my forum public today and have been noticing all sorts of problem. Not enough testing I guess :(

A member accidentally posted the same message thrice, and I'm not sure what happened. But I know him personally and would check with him tomorrow.

But as an Admin, when I try to delete it, Vanilla will give me a confirmation dialog, and once I click on Confirm Delete, the progress indicator keeps moving for several minutes, but the post is not deleted. I tried it a few times, but it didn't work.

When I open the post and try to delete from there, I get the confirmation dialog again, and after the confirmation, the confirmation dialog disappears, but the post isn't deleted.

How should I go about troubleshooting the problem?

UPDATE: I tried added a new post and got this error:

{"Code":256,"Exception":"Table 'xxxxxxx_vanilla.GDN_discussion' doesn't exist|Gdn_Database|Query|select CategoryID\nfrom GDN_discussion discussion\nwhere DiscussionID = :DiscussionID"}

I tried it couple of times, and got the same error. Then I went back to the home page and noticed that the message was posted twice. So, the same must have happened to the forum member.

Does it mean that the database is having issues?

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited March 2012

Step 1 : can you disable one of your plugins via your admin panel?

The plugin is : Latest Comments

Searched briefly in the forums, but above tip is the only one I could find quickly. Let's see if that helps you.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tagging Enhanced was the culprit. I had installed it a few hours ago.

Problem solved with this version of the plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/135971#Comment_135971

Now I now what "Vanilla approved" means. I should really look for that stamp and not be so adventurous in future :)

@UnderDog - thank you. I've bothered you too much today. Hopefully this will be the last post tonight.

• brainolution said:
    Tagging Enhanced was the culprit. I had installed it a few hours ago.

Now I now what "Vanilla approved" means. I should really look for that stamp and not be so adventurous in future :)

Actually, that version should have been uploaded to the addons site and then you wouldn't have had that problem.

"Vanilla Approved" is something the community should start working on, probably after we're getting the wiki going, for sure.

I'm just DOUBLE p*ssed at myself that I didn't find that post!

First thing I thought when I saw the uppercase GDN_ prefix I thought : "Damn, it's uppercase".

Second thing was to find the right post and it wasn't in the search results... oh well.. good that you found it.

• @UnderDog - I'm afraid, the news isn't good as far as the TaggingEnh plugin is concerned. This morning I found that I couldn't delete my drafts (no error messages on the screen). Then I tried to create a new post, and that wasn't working either. After that I tried to disable TaggingEnh plugin and that wasn't happening either. Then I had to disable it from the config.php and remove the folder entirely. Copied back Mark's original Tagging plugin and tried to enable it. But it wouldn't happen. Cleared the cache folder, logged out, closed the browser, re-logged in and then enabled the Tagging plugin again and this time it worked. I could go back and delete my drafts and post new messages again.

I think TaggingEnhanced and TaggingEnh both are not worth the trouble.

Thanks.

• Well... see...
    There is a reson the tagging enhanced plugin was created, right?
    Those things you encountered are unfortunate, but they are bugs.

If the reason the TaggingEnhanced was created is still valid, those bugs needs to be fixed somehow.

• Agree. It would be great if they are fixed. But I don't have the php skills to fix them right now. For now it would be good to have a "warning" on the plugin page telling people of the bugs that exist. With those bugs, they are pretty much unusable, at least with the latest version of Vanilla.