Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Documentation] [Solved] Social media sign up not working in Chrome or IE9

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

The social media sign in buttons open the relevant dialogue boxes and users can enter their details but once completed they receive the error message 'bonk'. The sign ups work in Firefox and IE8 but not Chrome, Opera or IE9.
The forum is www.socialmediani.com

Best Answer

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

If you get a bonk error, I can recommend the following:

if you are using vanilla >= 2.0.18 Put

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

and if its < 2.0.18 put

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';

in your conf/config.php file.

Then you get the details of the Bonk error and you can figure out what to do after you see the details.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

If you get a bonk error, I can recommend the following:

if you are using vanilla >= 2.0.18 Put

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

and if its < 2.0.18 put

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';

in your conf/config.php file.

Then you get the details of the Bonk error and you can figure out what to do after you see the details.

• Thank you very much.
    Is there a log file or should issues appear after the 'bonk' message? (after adding the line of code I'm not receiving any error outputs).
    I'm using version 2.0.18.4

• Interesting update... despite the failure to complete the sign up process, users returning to the site, i.e. refreshing the page, are signed in. The sign up and sign in process appear to be working but the final redirects from the social apps back to the site are not.
    I've checked Twitter and Facebook and both have call back URLs.

• edited April 2012

I've just tried the "$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';" and that produced the debug information :D

Smarty error: the $compile_dir '/home/MYURL/htdocs/socialmediaforum/cache/Smarty/compile' does not exist, or is not a directory.

• I did a search for Smarty Error and found a thread which explained I was missing two folders in the 'cache' folder, Smarty and compile.
    I created those and everything worked :D
    Thanks again!

• IBMKenobi said:
    I've just tried the "$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';" and that produced the debug information :D

Interesting and good job applying the deverror trick to find the debug information. Remember, it's only needed when you get a Bonk error, after that, just put the MasterView back to 'error.master.php' you don't want to give your visitors too much information.

Smarty error: the $compile_dir '/home/MYURL/htdocs/socialmediaforum/cache/Smarty/compile' does not exist, or is not a directory.

Interesting. I cannot figure out why those directories could be created by the Smarty program, so you wouldn't have gotten that error.

• they probably didn't exist from the getgo and that was probably the source of the error.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.