Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Documentation] Show Different Page to Logged out Users

H00jH00j
edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

At the moment logged out users just see an empty template as they have no permissions to see threads, is it possible to have a different page all together for logged out users? It is so i can have a homepage describing what it is.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

If user not logged in show blah blah blah ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

lol, We could change @422's nickname to 'vanillawiki'

• Options

422 said:
    If user not logged in show blah blah blah ?

In what script

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Hooj check out te wiki, in Underdogs siggy.

• Options

Oh, I have a siggy? Hey, there's a whole Wiki with documentation about Vanilla. ooooh that's interesting! All kinds of information! I'm gonna read it right now, maybe I'll learn something!

@H00j try to use the search function a bit more, ok. Use the Vanilla search and use Google search. Use the exact search phrase 'If user not logged in' and maybe you will find a thread about this topic from a couple of weeks ago!

• Options

UnderDog said:
    Oh, I have a siggy? Hey, there's a whole Wiki with documentation about Vanilla. ooooh that's interesting! All kinds of information! I'm gonna read it right now, maybe I'll learn something!

@H00j try to use the search function a bit more, ok. Use the Vanilla search and use Google search. Use the exact search phrase 'If user not logged in' and maybe you will find a thread about this topic from a couple of weeks ago!

http://vanillaforums.org/search?Search=If+user+not+logged+in

I don't see anything

• Options

What is it with all the snarky, sarcastic attitude from people here lately? Things were a lot more genial and helpful back in the 1.x days....

Don't worry, @H00j, you're not the only one that finds the search facility more than a little... underwhelming.

• Options

stavthewonderchicken said:
    What is it with all the snarky, sarcastic attitude from people here lately? Things were a lot more genial and helpful back in the 1.x days....

Don't worry, @H00j, you're not the only one that finds the search facility more than a little... underwhelming.

Perhaps, a little too snarky. I think the frustration comes from so many questions and answers like.

My ... doesn't work. How fix?

or

you provide a long reply to try to solve the answer and the response you get is

"doesn't work" with no thoughtful information provided and this from the person seeking help.

you provide an answer and the person doesn't follow the instructions e.g.

@H00j try to use the search function a bit more, ok. Use the Vanilla search and use Google search. Use the exact search phrase 'If user not logged in' and maybe you will find a thread about this topic from a couple of weeks ago! >

response:

>http://vanillaforums.org/search?Search=If+user+not+logged+in

I don't see anything>

Clearly the search was not in quotes as a search phrase.

http://vanillaforums.org/search?Search=%27If+user+not+logged+in%27

Sometimes some users keep posting question upon question and it is clear they don't want to read the documentation or the wiki.
    Personally, I think anyone who asks a question should have to click on something that says - yes I have read or at least skimmed all the documentation and the wiki. They may not understand everything but at least they've made an attempt.

@stavthewonderchicken, try fielding questions for a week and see how many times the question is repeated and would only require looking down the discussion list by the questioner (for an appropriate answer). Try fielding questions where the user mentions they have a problem with this or that and don't mention the version, whether they upgraded, what plugins they use, what they tried to do to correct it, or what changes they might have made that made things go haywire.

I'm sure you would be pulling your feathers out!

But yes - I agree the snark could be cut down and the answers could be less cryptic. I've been guilty of both, but at least I try to answer some questions. how bout you @stavthewonderchicken spend some time answering questions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Owned lol.