Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Documentation] How set a non-english language, when Vanilla is installing?

qwentyqwenty New
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Translating installation step

I'm gonna to provide completely a translated pack of Vanilla! It's need to be translated from beginning (from install step) -> How can I do it?

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

grep -ri continue * | less

applications/dashboard/views/setup/configure.php:      <?php echo $this->Form->Button('Continue &rarr;'); ?>

x00 maybe with some guidance, you can add locale where the is none, and then submit a pull request to the core team and it will eventually get released.

perhaps!

I think you should re:pull request

@x00 I'm a bit nosey! How many years r u accompanied by Vanilla? :)) >

I think he was reared on vanilla extract as a youngster.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012

Bump?

It' means when a non-english user starts to install Vanilla -> everything will be in its language and it's not need to activate the "locale pack" after installation process, because the "locale" is the default language of forum.

locale will be packed into vanilla by a non-english support forum for its users or maybe language supporting packages will be accessible from an extra page of vanillaforums.org :-)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012
    modifying everything with a T in the install program so it is translatable and

you could try putting these in the config.php, or possibly in default.config.php depending how you are implementing.

$Configuration['EnabledLocales']['yourlocalename'] = 'yourlocalename';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Locale'] = 'yourlocalename';

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• what is the context? are you making an a quick installer? You need to bundle with required folder, and programmatic set config.

You said you are not a programmer so I'm a bit puzzled why you would do this. Are you hoping to distribute vanilla?

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I thought it @x00 said it

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I think she said so here:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20081/documentation-how-set-a-non-english-language-when-vanilla-is-installing#Item_3

she wants to set it up for her language so people who don't know english can set it up in the language she is setting up - whatever that may be?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited May 2012

But that would mean they would be distributing modified vanilla software, i didnt think you could do that.
    A plugin for their language and a language pack etc is all i think is permissable.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012

I couldn't find within which file "Continue" word is located?!

x00 said:
    Are you hoping to distribute vanilla?

I found Vanilla lovely :) I'm gonna to translate it for my university forum. then releasing the locale as an addon.

422:

>

But that would mean they would be distributing modified vanilla software, i didnt think you could do that. A plugin for their language and a language pack etc is all i think is permissable.

Hummmmmmm?

Vanilla is licensed under GPL that means you(=everyone) have:

The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

>

The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

>

The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).

>

The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this. (Read more)

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012

Well you can translate everything there. basically $this->Form->Label() is similar to using T()

So perhaps you could put your preliminary translations in conf/locale.php, before installing a fully fledged locale pack.

To translate the button use Continue &rarr;

I know you are not a programmer, but maybe with some guidance, you can add locale where the is none, and then submit a pull request to the core team and it will eventually get released.

I doesn't make sense to bundle a fork just because it is missing the odd translation, as the copy will quickly become out of date.

grep is your friend.

• otherwise you could provide instruction on installing the locale pack without the dashboard.

or you could create your own stand-in installation form/script (which would obviously require some programming).

grep is your friend.

• qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012

Sorry for bombarding you! An odd problem! Plz, see this picture, everything is working; but If I don't fill these tree fields: "AdminEmail+AdminUser+AdminPass", the installation page returns to the non-translated page to warn for empty fields -> (See here). but there isn't this problem with escaping from other fields -> for EX See this one -> you can see it has returned to the translated page keeping an error on top. As I said, for that three fields it goes to the basic page! What's the reason?

x00

>

you could put your preliminary translations in conf/locale.php, before installing a fully fledged locale pack.

peregrine's tip is working.

x00 said:

To translate the button use Continue &rarr;

Worked. How do you find it? before that comment, I searched *.php files, but nothing.

@x00
    I'm a bit nosey! How many years r u accompanied by Vanilla? :))

x00
    maybe with some guidance, you can add locale where the is none, and then submit a pull request to the core team and it will eventually get released.

perhaps! I'll continue learning more and nibbling your knowledge of Vanilla! :-)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

grep -ri continue * | less

applications/dashboard/views/setup/configure.php:      <?php echo $this->Form->Button('Continue &rarr;'); ?>

x00 maybe with some guidance, you can add locale where the is none, and then submit a pull request to the core team and it will eventually get released.

perhaps!

I think you should re:pull request

@x00 I'm a bit nosey! How many years r u accompanied by Vanilla? :)) >

I think he was reared on vanilla extract as a youngster.

• tnx @peregrine for that useful options.

qwenty said:
    Sorry for bombarding you! An odd problem! Plz, see this picture, everything is working; but If I don't fill these tree fields: "AdminEmail+AdminUser+AdminPass", the installation page returns to the non-translated page to warn for empty fields -> (See here). but there isn't this problem with escaping from other fields -> for EX See this one -> you can see it has returned to the translated page keeping an error on top. As I said, for that three fields it goes to the basic page! What's the reason?

Bump?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

well did you use

grep -ri specify | less

applications/dashboard/controllers/class.setupcontroller.php:         $ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRule('
        Database.Name', 'Required', 'You must specify the name of the database in which you want to set up Vanilla.');
        applications/dashboard/controllers/class.setupcontroller.php:            $UserModel->Validation->ApplyRule('Name',
         'Required', T('You must specify an admin username.'));
        applications/dashboard/controllers/class.setupcontroller.php:            $UserModel->Validation->ApplyRule('Passwo
        rd', 'Required', T('You must specify an admin password.'));

I'll leave e-mail as a test for you.

grep -ri email | less
    or

grep -ri  required * | grep -ri email | less

for you :)

do you "like" this.