Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

A series of questions...

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Here we go.

Note: I am running the latest version of Vanilla, 2.0.18.4.

1. How do I change the terminology in my forum? Like changing "Apply for Membership" to "Register" or "All Categories" to my forum name?

2. How do I change the color of the Vanilla default theme? The tutorial on the site says there is suppose to be an option on the dashboard that says "Custom Theme", but I don't have that.

3. Is there a theme that structures my forum the same way as this?

4. Why does some themes headers include all my categories? And therefore the header covers most of the site?

Thanks for any help!

Tagged:

Answers

• Adding another one, sorry for double posting, but it doesn't seem like I can edit posts here.

1. If I get WordPress with the vanilla plugin, will I have to make all the content again or can I just transfer it from mine?
  • And another one,

1. How to add badges?
    1. How to add badges?

@422 knows this one :-)

( LOL )

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422422 Developer MVP

;) touche

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@medelsvensson

There's a reason they provide a search box.

All of your questions have been discussed and answered many times on this forum.

You might also find the answers on the Vanilla Wiki which is referenced in Underdog's signature.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

to change the terminology from the registration form "Apply for Membership" to "Register" find :

/forum/applications/dashboard/views/entry

you must alter all the register phps. like registerbasic.php, there a a few other that contain this title.
    change this to what you want.
    from this

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit(); ?>
    <?php echo T("Apply for Membership") ?>

to this

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit(); ?>
    <?php echo T("Registration Form") ?>

to change the terminology from the buttons:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/170435/#Comment_170435

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2012

@vrijvlinder said:
    to change the terminology from the registration form "Apply for Membership"

@vrijvlinder your solution is not the preferred way it should be changed via the definitions.

see locales in the documentation.

anything that has a T("something").

can usually be changed via the definitions.php in your theme or via conf/locale.php

the only downside to conf/locale.php (it gets overwritten with vanilla 2.0.18.4 upgrade, it may have been fixed not to overwrite locale.php in 2.1). so you should make a copy of conf/locale.php and call it something like "x-locale.ph".

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

worked for me, could you elaborate as to why it is not a good thing to do? I scoured my files and that is the only places it appeared. Can it be harmful changing a title where I did?

• @vrijvlinder said:
    worked for me, could you elaborate as to why it is not a good thing to do? I scoured my files and that is the only places it appeared. Can it be harmful changing a title where I did?

No, but once you update your forum to the newest version, your changes are gone.

• @HalfCat said:
    No, but once you update your forum to the newest version, your changes are gone.

when HalfCat is correct, he is correct!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

General rule of thumb @vrijvlinder: Never alter the core of anything unless you're absolutely sure there's no other way to accomplish what you're trying to do - and even then, reconsider if what you're trying to do is even worth doing if you have to change the core to do it. Extending is the way to go, always.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

@vrijvlinder

If you change something in the definitions file, each instance will automatically be changed as it is called.

If you change the individual files

a) you're making more work for yourself

b) you might miss some

c) they'll get over-written in any upgrade, and you'll have to do it all again.

Thanks for setting me straight :) !

Not a problem at all.

Most of what I know about this came from people helping me on here, so if I can give anything back, I'm happy.