Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

No emails is sent from Vanilla (BlueHost account)

TorbjornTorbjorn New
edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello.
Notifications via email has stopped working. No emails at all are sent. I am using BlueHost and have tried both "use local mail server" and use SMTP Host(Gmail via Google Apps). How can i see what is going wrong? Logfiles? Turn on debug? Please advice.
Anybody else having trouble mailnotofications an specific in comb with with BlueHost.

Answers

• Badly written post from my mobile above...

This is a better version:

Vanilla forum is version: 2.0.18.1.
    Hosted on: BlueHost
    Problem: No email notifications is sent (stopped working)
    Settings tried: 'Use local mail server', SMTP (gmail + SSL port 465), SMTP (gmail + TLS port 587)

Questions to community:
    1. Is there someway to see if vanilla is sending out emails at all? Logfiles?, debug?
    2. Anybody else having trouble with email + BlueHost? Workaround?
    3. Anybody else using gmail SMTP for sending mail? Settings please?

Ping @underdog @x00 @peregrine

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

Torbjorn said:
    Hello.
    Notifications via email has stopped working. No emails at all are sent. I am using BlueHost and have tried both "use local mail server" and use SMTP Host(Gmail via Google Apps). How can i see what is going wrong? Logfiles? Turn on debug? Please advice.
    Anybody else having trouble mailnotofications an specific in comb with with BlueHost.

Don't know. a few guesses and suggestions

ask provider if you can view mail logs.
    ask provider preferred what is preferred mail server, port, etc?

different forum but proof the techs at bluehost can look at logs.

http://forum.civicrm.org/index.php/topic,21817.msg91858.html

the critical thing that you didn't mention"
    "Notifications via email has stopped working" - did e-mail notifications ever work? and if they did, what plugins or config or dashboard settings did you add when it stopped

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Problem solved. BlueHost dont allow SMTP with third party servers. You have to use a registered mail account in cpanel.
    My solution:
    1. Create a mailaccount in Bluehost cpanel. 'donotreply@yourdomain.com'
    2. In vanilla enter the mail in email-field.
    3. In field Name' type this in 'My Forumname - Do Not Reply donotreply@mallorcanytt.com'

You cannot enter what you like in field Name. It must follow a syntax.

More info here: https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/206 (this article was not easy to find, got it from BlueHost supportteam)