Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Two Email Notifications for new comment.

edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello,

We have the latest stable version ( 2.0.18.4 ) installed on our private nonprofit board forum. Whenever someone posts a new comment it sends out two email notifications at the same moment. I was wondering if there's a solution to this issue? Many thanks!

The following plugins are installed:

--all viewed
--firstlastnames
--google sign in
--in this discussion
--minify
--openid
--post count
--tagging
--wysiwyg

Comments

• Options

what lines do you have in your config.php relating to email.

use phpmyadmin to view
    your usermeta table to see if there are any values that have comment or discussion in them.

there is a also an option in the dashboard to sen e-mail when new comments or discussion are made - do you possibly have them checked.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks for your reply!

(1) These are the lines related to email in config.php --> http://pastebin.com/R37Gyafm
    (2) Here's the usermeta table and values --> http://prntscr.com/bsm9l
    (3) I don't see an option in the dashboard. I do see an option under the user profile page and then my preferences.

We do want notifications to be sent - but just for them to be sent once, not twice. Thanks!

• Options

It would be much easier if you post the configs and such in the forum rather then images then I could cut and paste and show you. You can put code segments by highlighting code and by pressing the C on the buttonbar

it seems you have these checked for users 1 and 4

Notify me when people start new discussions.
        Notify me when people comment on a discussion.

as evidenced by Preference.Email.NewDiscussion
    Preference.Email.NewComment

when it is set to 1 it means send mail for every newdiscussion and newcomment.

if you also have send mail checked it will send mail based on these responses,

send mail people write on my wall.
    Notify me when people reply to my wall comments.
    Notify me when people comment on my discussions.
    Notify me when people mention me in discussion titles.
    Notify me when people mention me in comments.
    Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.
    Notify me of private messages.
    Notify me when I am added to private conversations.

so you need to make sure to uncheck all of these if

are checked.

An easy way to remove

is to delete the row from user meta for that specific instance.

you can also turn off advanced notifications in the dashboard under the role so those options don't even appear.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks for your reply!

I thought that new discussions and new comments were not the same. The current situation is that for every new comment the system sends out two identical notification emails. I turned off the advanced notifications so that doesn't confuse people in the future.

So right now the only email option that is checked is "Notify me when people comment on a discussion." I will post a reply on the forum and see if this fixed the issue.

• Options
    edited July 2012

Ok, here are my testing results:

--If I have just "Notify me when people comment on a discussion." via email selected the system sends no email when a new comment is made.

-- If I have "Notify me when people comment on a discussion." and " Notify me when people start new discussions." and "Notify me when people comment on my discussions." it sends me two notifications for a new comment.

I just want one email notification - the way it should be! Right now this doesn't seem possible. I would like all members to receive an email for all new comments. Any help would be really appreciated...thanks!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

you still may have to remove

the row in the usermeta that have values of 1 for

Preference.Email.NewDiscussion

• Options

peregrine said:
    you still may have to remove

the row in the usermeta that have values of 1 for

Preference.Email.NewDiscussion

sorry, now I'm really confused -- why would I delete these? I want an email notification to be sent..just not twice for every new comment. thanks!

• Options

if everything works the way you want don't worry. if it doesn't this is what to do.

• Options

Maybe we can try a different approach? Instead of trying to fix the current settings -- could you please explain to me what the settings should be so that one email notification is sent for each new comment on the forum, rather than two notification emails the same second? Thanks!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

one email notification is sent for each new comment on the forum>

sent to all users or just you?

I don't have the strength to do it again

read this discussion (2 or 3x), then see if you have any questions.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20624/advance-notifications-config-lines

• Options

sent to all users or just you?

All users. The issue here is in regards to two email notifications being sent. It seems to be an issue in the forum itself. See these posts:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/161607/#Comment_161607
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/129940/#Comment_129940

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

set Preference.Email.NewComment with a value of 1 for all ids.
    and re-set all other email notifications in preferences for all users off
    period (for comments bookmarks, etc.)

thats all that can be done. It's in the comment I sent you to,

best I can do - its all there.

• Options

Thanks, I'll give that a try! So there's definitely a bug in there then...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

well - there could be a check if
    Preference.Email.NewDiscussion = 1
    Preference.Email.NewComment =1 for a userid
    no other emails regarding comments or bookmarks should be sent to that user id.

so yes it is a bug.

• Options
    SheilaSheila ✭✭

Hi!

In addition to that bug you guys are talking about, there's also a small issue in notificators logic. Noticifations about a new post in a topic should not be sent to me when the poster is me.

• Options

So 2 bugs, you guys know what to do then. Bug reports belong in gitHub, bug numbers can be posted here, so they can be matched.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I'll leave that to @pnommensen and @sheila since they reported them.

• Options
    SheilaSheila ✭✭
    edited July 2012

Ok, I'm on it..

edit: @Underdog, @pnommensen & @peregrine, It's here https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1395, Issue #1395

• Options

Thanks @Sheila !

• Options

Sheila, I would add to the bug report the steps to reproduce the problem, because Vanilla doesn't send out those 2 notifications in every situation. Don't make the developers guess, but give them direct actions to reproduce the problem.
    I saw lots of stuff going by about configurations, like Preference.Email.NewDiscussion so there must be something in there that made you guys conclude it was a bug. Show those things in the Bug report.

There was an error rendering this rich post.