Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can't get Vanilla to jump to Most Recent Comment

ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This discussion was created from comments split from: "Easy Wordpress Integration" LOL!.

Comments

• Agreed with OP. I appreciate the great software, and I do like it far better than a multitude of competing forums I've used, but it is certainly portrayed as 1 thing while the reality is vastly different.

I spent about a week solid when I first set up Vanilla with my WordPress/Wishlist membership site, with importing into Vanilla 1, exporting to Vanilla 2, embeds, forcing links back over to the WP site, failed ProxyConnect attempts, then finally figuring out jsConnect (but not with the official plugin, with someone else's).

I had to create an account to chime in on this one—of course all the developers have something to say when someone comes in your camp and says something like this—but I get a laugh from the fact that about 90% of threads on this community are people talking to themselves, and … sometimes… answering their own questions! But a majority of issues are not even ever addressed, if at all solved.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to make my "most recent comment by" links actually GO to the Most Recent comment rather than the user profiles??

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

most recent comment by is not a link, the author however is a link to go to the author.

if you want to get an idea how you could change things look in the pagenavigator plugin for ideas.

Looks like you are dredging every old post you can. good work for you. Nice way to clutter things up on the forum.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• codymckibb said:
    Can anyone point me in the right direction to make my "most recent comment by" links actually GO to the Most Recent comment rather than the user profiles??

Well... you got my attention. If you now explain a bit more what you mean with "most recent comment by" links? Maybe an example? Screenshot?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

clicking the link of the discussion brings you to the most recent comment (if you have looked into that discussion before. if not it shows the first entry)

isn't that what you want?

• @peregrine sorry I didn't know it was forum rules not to leave any useful feedback on a thread if it's old. I thought that was the point of support forums was to provide solutions & answers, even for other people besides the original poster… Maybe I am wrong. You have my apologies for cluttering things up with my 3 comments.

@UnderDog thanks for your willingness to help. Apologies I didn't mean to cause a stir. I have been trolling around the entire forum trying to see if there's a straightforward way to hack the byline beneath each discussion listing on my Categories page, so these "Most recent by ____" links under each title might actually provide a link direct to said comment (i.e., the most recent) rather than the beginning of the thread.

Many thanks dudes. Oh and also, where can I actually get my hands on this great file upload plugin?? It's not linked from the page about it in the Documentation (also all the images in the documentation are broken :( You probably already know this though…)

• fh111 said:
    clicking the link of the discussion brings you to the most recent comment (if you have looked into that discussion before. if not it shows the first entry)

isn't that what you want?

Really? It has never once done that for me in my life. That is solely based on my limited experience though. What am I missing?? I have things with oldest at the top to newest at the bottom… does that make a difference?

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

it has worked for me in every vanilla install i set up so far. i am sure it works in 2.18.0.4 - at least for me and all others that haven't complained about it not working :-p

i am not really sure what you mean by

codymckibb said:
    I have things with oldest at the top to newest at the bottom… does that make a difference?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

I knew a guy who bought a guitar put the thin strings on top and the bass strings on the bottom because he read an article about reverse string sorting.
    He blamed all the publishers of music books for not writing the correct notation for playing songs in the books because none of the chords worked. Then he blamed the guitar maker for making such a bad guitar. He then joined a group and blamed all the other musicians for not keeping rhythm or harmony with him. Reminds me of "Johnny" who was the only guy in the entire parade who marched in the right step and everybody was out of step. I think he is still griping, though he doesn't have a clue.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• codymckibb said:
    I have things with oldest at the top to newest at the bottom… does that make a difference?

You mean you have a special plugin active that sorts your discussion in a different way? Let's see if you deactivate / delete that plugin and (if necessary) adjust your conf/config.php file to see if you can jump to the latest comment, because that's the basic problem for the moment, right?

And let's assume that jumping to the latest (most recent) comment can be done easily. Now you need just a couple of changes to make it work on your forum

After that... activate your plugin again and see if jumping to the most recent comment is possible and then we'll see about the rest.

• First off, thanks to @Todd for splitting off a new conversation for me.

@UnderDog Apologies I misspoke. I don't have any special plugin activated that changes the sort order. I thought for some reason there may have been an option within the Vanilla settings and I set it that way, but now I'm realizing I have it the same default way everyone else probably does (confused with other forum scripts)

Anyways, okay so the issue is that my forum is embedded within a WordPress page. I realize that you use # hash anchor links to jump to the latest comment, and if I were to go straight to my Vanilla install, that appears to work, however because I am forcing links back to the embedded forum within WordPress, somewhere along the line it removes those #hash anchor links and just lands me & other users on the top of the page.

For example, when you hover or copy the link within the forums, it will look something like this:

http://domain.com/vanilla/discussion/230/topic-name#Item_5

But when it redirects back to the embedded form, it loses the anchor and ends up looking like this:

http://domain.com/routeto/forum/#/discussion/230/topic-name

So that's whats happening for me. I have scoured and scoured the support forums here and the rest of the web via google search and I cannot seem to find an answer to this. Is it possible I'm an idiot and I have something conflicting in my .htaccess settings or WordPress Redirect plugin?? Probably. If so, if you have any good ideas, I'm more than open to hearing them.

Also though, is there a way to get Vanilla to write it's URLs the latter way rather than the former way (i.e., with my embedded address) so that opening threads in new tabs doesn't actually load Vanilla, then redirect back to the embed? But instead take them straight to the embed?

Many thanks everyone

• codymckibb said:
    For example, when you hover or copy the link within the forums, it will look something like this:

http://domain.com/vanilla/discussion/230/topic-name#Item_5

But when it redirects back to the embedded form, it loses the anchor and ends up looking like this:

http://domain.com/routeto/forum/#/discussion/230/topic-name

There must be some way you can debug and trace back where that Url is formed (I'm assuming in the embed code, unfortunately)

Is it possible I'm an idiot and I have something conflicting in my .htaccess settings or WordPress Redirect plugin??

No, I think it's something a lot of the Embed users are facing.

Also though, is there a way to get Vanilla to write it's URLs the latter way rather than the former way (i.e., with my embedded address) so that opening threads in new tabs doesn't actually load Vanilla, then redirect back to the embed? But instead take them straight to the embed?

That must be purely .htaccess and I need help from @peregrine and other developers to answer that one.

• underdog said:

That must be purely .htaccess and I need help from @peregrine and other developers to answer that one.

peregrine said: I am an .htaccess novice....

but I'm sure it would help if the .htaccess was posted.

• AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

I'm having the same problem - anchors seem to be stripped by WP when you click a link to any discussion, etc from within the embedded forum or the recent discussions widget.

Did anyone ever figure this out?

• Can anyone suggest me a pliguns that creates a comment link?
    I mean , every comment gets a button and when you click it, jumps this comment to the top creting url http://domain.com/vanilla/discussion/230/topic-name#Comment_610432

Thank you !!!

• @vanillawhisky said:
    Can anyone suggest me a pliguns that creates a comment link?
    I mean , every comment gets a button and when you click it, jumps this comment to the top creting url http://domain.com/vanilla/discussion/230/topic-name#Comment_610432

Thank you !!!

Well . I got the solution.
    Just got the comment Id with $Comment->CommentID; and add a link tag with this comment id in WriteComment helper_function.php and its done.

Anyways thanks you all.