Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I embed Youtube and Vimeo links?

unixherounixhero
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

How do I embed Youtube and Vimeo links in posts/threads/conversations?

I have tried searching for this answer without getting any wiser.

Tagged:

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP

Post the url

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• unixherounixhero
    edited August 2012

Doesn't do anything else than post the raw url. Running vanilla forums latest, everything set to default & default theme.

• unixherounixhero
    edited August 2012

I am posting this on Vanillaforums.org and this is regarding the Open Source download version, not the company-run pimped up commercial version of the forum which is running here.

But the Youtube vid was indeed funny :-)

• unixherounixhero
    edited August 2012

Post the url

No this does not work.

Let me ask clearer, perhaps I will be more successful in getting an answer:
    In the open source version of Vanillaforums, not the commercial version, how can I get it to automatically embed youtube and vimeo videos when users post the URL?

And by the way, flagged as TROLL wtf: How was my previous message a troll message. I am trying to communicate that I am not a commercial customer, but a user of the open source script. Therefore it makes little sense to "show that it works" in that post above, because god knows how different/heavily modified this commercial version is to the open version.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited August 2012

WHAT VERSION OF VANILLA ARE YOU USING !

You were flagged as troll for your snarky comment, poking a dig at Vanilla and commercial version. This entire forum is dedicated to the free open src version.

Your remark:

not the company-run pimped up commercial version of the forum which is running here

If you have the inability to post a youtube link, perhaps running forums isnt your thing. However there could be something more sinister afoot... like your version of Vanilla, are you using custom theme, are you using embed, are you using wordpress, have you got any runtime js errors, .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPWSbKSKqw

I managed to do this by posting the actual link

http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPWSbKSKqw

p.s. changed FLAG to LOL not TROLL

• Lol thanks =) Well sorry about snarkyness, didn't mean for it to come across that way.

Uhm. I have been running forums since 2004, and trying to switch to Vanilla now.
    Since I am running everything as default with the latest version. I can only conclude that
    either the WYSIWYG editor i messing it up, or that it perhaps isn't working in the current version.

• 422422 Developer MVP

so what is your version ?

View src code and look at the css file link should have something like:

/design/style.css?v=2.1a24.1

Usually the easiest way to figure it out.

If you provide link we can test, but I agree could be the editor you are using.

Try disabling all plugins, and then use the buttonbar editor. You can find it in addons section

If you have firefox and firebug open the web inspector, click console, refresh page and see what errors you have

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited August 2012

unixhero said:
    I have been running forums since 2004, and trying to switch to Vanilla now.

Ok, good, we're getting somewhere. Which WYSIWYG editor are you using?
    From which forum system did you switch?(lol, nevermind, it's phpBB3)
    Look in the 'Discussions' and 'Comment' table. What do you see in the columns for 'Format'

• The plot thinkens. I converted from SMF to PHPBB3 to Vanilla. That's how much I wanted to try Vanilla.

• Ah, gotit, now it's only to solve the problem (probably easy once the details are known)

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Small tip: If you'd like to change the size of those auto-embedded videos in the comments this line in your CSS will do it (especially those who changed their template might need this).

.Video embed {width: 520px;}

It also seems to me that for example you have a discussion with a lot of videos embedded, a smaller size seems to speed up the loading time. Don't know why, usually i wouldn't count that in if you do a simple CSS resize.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2012

just copy the embed code from youtube, and paste it in the editor on the html side but use embed instead of iframe

embed width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/doteMqP6eSc" border="0" ></embed

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited December 2012

@422 said:
    This entire forum is dedicated to the free open src version.

Sorry, but that's not entirely evident or really stated anywhere from what I can see.

You were flagged as troll for your snarky comment, poking a dig at Vanilla and commercial version.

There was a great post a while ago on the Vanilla blog about injecting humor into a discussion.

I hope you all make a lot of money and ease up a bit!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2012

As @Todd says, this is a common misunderstanding with the WYSIWYG editor. Paste the URL as plain text, don't use the 'Link' button.

Also, the only feature difference between open source Vanilla and hosted Vanilla is that there are about 8 more addons on the hosted version. Basic stuff like embedding videos is precisely the same.

• Hi awesome people. This is an obvious issue with my theme customization, so please feel free to remove or move this comment if it is in the wrong area. For some reason my theme seems to be setting the YouTube Video height for the automatically generated iframe to only 16px high. The preview of the video is correct size, but when you click play, it hides all but the bottom 16px of the video and player.

For an example, please check this post here - http://neilvn.com/forum/discussion/1621/merry-christmas-happy-new-year-to-all#latest

I can see that it is with my theme, but cannot see any way to fix it with the CSS. If I hide or delete my style sheet all is fixed for video playback, but I cannot for the life o refigure out what is causing the issue. Thanks for en help of suggestions.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need to add a rule for the iframe the is the player in your custom.css

.Message iframe{
    width:100%!important;
    min-height:400px!important;
    }

• Perfect! Worked like a charm! Thanks so much @vrijvlinder! Much appreciated!