Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Removing required fields in registration form.

TannerMTannerM New
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi All - I've searched the site and haven't found a successful response to what seems like should be an easy fix.

I need to remove the "Tell us why you want to be a member" question - removing it via CSS or commenting out the LI in the view does not remove the field requirement. So you end up being asked to fill out a seemingly non-existant field when trying to register.

The only other option i've seen suggested is to edit "vanilla.User.Class.php" and remove certain lines - and for the life of me, i can't even find that file in my installation. Can someone give some definitive detailed instructions here, if a file needs to be edited, give the full path and line number, and explain why. I think there are enough of us looking for this fix and i'm surprised it isn't readily available.

Thanks!

Tm.

Comments

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2012

Heya,

Add this line to your config.php file to use the simplest registration method possible:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic';

This will remove all security measurements and leave you with nothing but a username, email and password input along with the need for agreeing to the Terms of Service.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Thanks very much!

• @kasperisager I didn't enabled basic as you suggested

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic';

But i get the question Tell us why you want to join!

any idea? thanks,

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

This happens if you use the "Approval" registration method. As a sidenote, the Dashboard can be rather confusing: The "Basic" method in the Dashboard is actually the "Captcha" method.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Actually, there is no check box on "Basic" or anything else in the dashboard.

• I saw found that "Stop Forum Spam" plugin does this. When i turn of this plugin the registration goes fine without any "Tell us why you want to be a member" question and "Captcha"