Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Posting via email?

Is there no way to post via email on a self-hosted install?

Tagged:

Comments

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

I dont think so coz you would be needing virtually unlimited email addresses from your host.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@nolageek No, I don't know of an open source plugin that does that.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@aery said:
    I dont think so coz you would be needing virtually unlimited email addresses from your host.

a better implementation would be to use a single drop box reply mailbox and a phmmailer client implementation in a cron'd plugin. you could either

a. put the discussion ID in the subject line of your own outgoing mail notification, basically by modding the subscription plugin.

or

b. use the Vanilla e-mail (set reply to adddress to your drop box) and use the first instance of [xxxx] in the mail body to determine the name of the discussion you need to match up with.

it would actually be pretty straight forward to write something like that. no, i'm not doing it for free.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@hbf I was thinking on the lines of replying not posting. Since each comment has its own id, dont we need each email address to reply to that comment?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@aery said:
    hbf I was thinking on the lines of replying not posting. Since each comment has its own id, dont we need each email address to reply to that comment?

the vanilla notification emails contain the text of the original post so, i would say no. just a little more parsing of the standard email template.

if you went with option a, you could just include the comment id rather than the discussion id. that way you grab the comment text, throw it in a quote and then post to the discussion that the comment is related to,

• Just a thought... It would be great if you could have this feature not just forum-wide (easier to implement), but more granular... user, group, topic, etc... (obviously harder.)

For instance, in a intra-net situation (closed group), spam wouldn't be an issue (unless you let the e-mail become public, in which case you change it) ... but it would give non-techie ppl easier access & a faster "quick-response" time for mobile users (who just send a new or reply from an email.)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.