Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to update comments and messages in realtime?

Is there any way to update comments and messages in realtime, via AJAX?

Tagged:

Answers

• is there any way?

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

I'm not sure what you mean, please leave a more detailed description. Comments are updated on real-time, meaning if you're writing a post and someone else is commenting in this thread the other users comments appears in "real-time" below your message entry field.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • When some one comment on a discussion or sends a message, every time, i need to refresh my page to see updates, is it possible to get real-time updates, without refreshing the page?

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2012

You mean "real-time" updates in discussions-list-view i guess. There's nothing like that from what i know.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@harshv

In the dashboard, under Forum - Advanced, you can set the refresh rate, which will achieve what I think you want.

• @whu606 but there is no option saying refresh rate

@harshv

Are you sure?

I certainly have!

edited December 2012

OK

Just looked - I am using 2.18.4

I guess you are using some version of 2.1 - I see the option isn't in there.

In config.php you could try adding this line:

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Comments']['AutoRefresh'] = '30';

where 30 represents 30 seconds. I guess you could change that to different multiples.

I'm not sure if it is designed to work in 2.1.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

For version 2.1
    it has been commented out in applications/vanilla/views/settings/advanced.php
    so it may not be functional or used in vanilla 2.1

for vanilla 2.0.18.4 see
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/170853/#Comment_170853

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• There was another discussion recently where I believe Lincoln said that feature had been disabled in 2.1 because of issues it was causing.

• I was wondering what is the status of this feature in 2.1b2? I see that it is still disabled in code.
    Did someone tried to re-enable it ?
    What are the issues it can cause ?
    This could be really usefull in the private conversation so it looks more like a chat!

@‌cocomang

I don't believe Vanilla have any plans to reintroduce such a feature.

I don't know of anyone who has successfully implemented it in 2.1x

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@cocomang‌ This feature causes a high load on servers. It was disabled for performance reasons, IIRC.

There was talk about an auto-refresh plugin being written. I think @R_J was working on that?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I had started that but I had started a million other things in my lifetime without finishing ;)
    I'll update what I have done so far on GitHub and post the link here for anybody wanting to go on with that... :-/

• odannycodannyc New
    edited March 2016

@R_J said:
    I had started that but I had started a million other things in my lifetime without finishing ;)
    I'll update what I have done so far on GitHub and post the link here for anybody wanting to go on with that... :-/

@R_J I'm looking for that plugin now. Did you ever continue development on it?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Nope. There are two plugins that you could combine:

This one would be able to show you how to do the periodic lookup:
    https://vanillaforums.org/addon/informnewcomments-plugin

And that one inserts comments with ajax (if I remember correctly)
    https://vanillaforums.org/addon/discussionrefresh-plugin