HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

new vanilla theme - best one so far

RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭

check out this new theme from the designers at themebeans.. it's a really clean, simple and effective design so i had to share it since vanilla is really lacking in the themes area.. make sure you support them by buying it for $15 from themeforest it's very worth it, because they provide great support as well. cheers

http://www.demo.themebeans.com/?theme=VanillaBean

Comments

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭

Dat simplicity.

• That demo could use some test discussions. As it is you can't really see anything.

You can see tests discussions here: http://www.demo.themebeans.com/vanillabean/discussions/

• Ah ok well I couldnt see them because it doesnt work in Safari.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Nice and clean. My biggest gripe is the index page , renders half a page with emphasis on search, before you even see a thread. Possibly vanillas weakest feature. Looks slick, good work .

Mind you I am on iPad

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mikadomikado New
    edited January 2013

It is difficult to understand how to work this template

There is no way to do a test

Guys, I respect your work .... but when you change the color of a standard template and say that this is something new ...

Why not make a custom template that is not like everyone else O_o

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

It's light, but it's a bit "too light" for my tastes. It reminds me of default theme, but kind of "bleached".

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

$15 bucks seems a bit steep, but then again I make my own and I pay myself sweatshop wages....)-o

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Really?

You think that is worth money?

When you can't even see the discussions from the landing page?

Whatever.

@mikado said: Why not make a custom template that is not like everyone else O_o

Because they would have to charge $20 ? or outsource it to China ?

@vrijvlinder said:
    Because they would have to charge $20 ? or outsource it to China ?

And because making a template that is different requires a significant amount of work. I'm working on Snow White right now, the code in categories/all.php is a mess. I understand why Lincoln wrote that they were going to review the View layer, it really contains way too much logic.

Now I'm splitting everything into modules and avoiding a good 80% of the "if..else", but it's really a PITA (and it's 11 PM, time to summon some Belgian Gold, named Leffe).

edited January 2013

And because making a template that is different requires a significant amount of work.

well I figured as much, the truth is the title of this Discussion is a misnomer , new vanilla theme - best one so far

The better title should be, "New to you default vanilla theme, how good do you think it is for $15 ? "

If it was free, would it be more nice? (as in would you use it)

@vrijvlinder said:
    If it was free, would it be more nice? (as in would you use it)

I don't mean to offend the OP, but I wouldn't. Too simplistic in terms of graphics, and many elements take too much space.

I don't mean to offend the OP, but I wouldn't.

lol, I am sure they know it's constructive criticism, I suppose the good side is they provide full support so they can help you reframe :)

• Guys, beauty and creativity is always a price. Therefore, it is high time to give a new face in the form of vanilla quality templates...

@mikado said:
    Guys, beauty and creativity is always a price. Therefore, it is high time to give a new face in the form of vanilla quality templates...

Beauty is subjective, so it's its value. Creativity even more so (I met many "creative" designers in my career, and I would not allow a good chunk of them to even touch a website). The target should be quality, and that definitely comes with a price.

I think the problem is ,once you learn how to make themes, you improve with each one. Not everything will please everyone. The themes I have made are quite different from the rest and I took the time for the details. All of this is worthless if people don't try them out. I am thankful people have. The most important thing is knowing what people want, then making it a reality. If someone says to me "I don't know, surprise me" . They are leaving the creativity in my hands and it does not guarantee they will like it. usually they like but want changes . If they knew what they wanted from the start then it would avoid extra unnecessary work.

In terms of monetary value, I think that when people do not have any complaints about a theme and many use it, then it has obtained monetary value. I terms of the time I put into my themes, that is what it cost me to make them. However I still would not charge $15.

• mikadomikado New
    edited January 2013

Beauty is subjective, so it's its value. Creativity even more so (I met many "creative" designers in my career, and I would not allow a good chunk of them to even touch a website).

This is more like philosophy...

The target should be quality, and that definitely comes with a price

Quality is indisputable :)

default template also quality ... we need creative solutions:)

Goddamn kasper, you're such an awesome designer!