Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Email notifications going crazy

I have a brand new Vanilla installation. I enabled the following plugins:

• Gravatar
  • Private community

We have a private community of about 10 users. I want all my users to receive only 1 email notification when a new discussion is started. So I went into every user's page and made sure these are the "My preferences" settings:

• everything ticked off
  • "Notify me when people start new discussions" ON

However, all my users get an email as soon as a new discussion AND a new reply is posted. It's driving them (and me) crazy.

Little side-note: I'm getting these emails twice! (I'm administrator)

Any idea what's going on or how to fix this?

Thanks!

Comments

• No one?

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited April 2013

Any chance you could post a screenshot of the settings page with the options you checked?

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@bytte You will get two emails as an admin.

Those settings are stored per user. You will have to change all the users by hand to that setting (which I believe is correct).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I have changed all users's settings by hand to the settings as in the screenshot above. Still every user gets an email notification for every new discussion and for every reply to every discussion.

Don't know how to fix it.

• Still every user gets an email notification for every new discussion and for every reply to every discussion.

do the other users get two messages also.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• just to add to this topic - using the Q&A plugin sends an email to a user when question has been accepted. No way to disable this w/o disabling the recording of the activity (i still want users to get notifications in their profiles)

went off this discussion, but still looking for a way to turn OFF email notifications while keeping ON profile notifications

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21083/would-it-be-possible-to-send-a-notification-when-an-answer-has-been-accepted-or-rejected#latest

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@chrisk22985

just to add to this topic - using the Q&A plugin sends an email to a user when question has been accepted. No way to disable this w/o disabling the recording of the activity (i still want users to get notifications in their profiles)

maybe you could pay someone to do this :). How much would a mod be worth to you? As it seems a specific issue you want modified specific to you.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• thanks, I'll keep that in mind as i collect a laundry list of stuff wrong with my site and see what options are out there

• @peregrine said:
    do the other users get two messages also.

No, just one.

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

@bytte then what may be the problem? You get two, others get one, You are admin if you want none just in your notification say no emails. Untick all

@peregrine said:
    chrisk22985
    maybe you could pay someone to do this :). How much would a mod be worth to you? As it seems a specific issue you want modified specific to you.

Im power hungry seems to me your, money hungry?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Srgamer

I'm guessing you meant that as a joke, but it isn't really how it comes across, imo.

@peregrine is, imo, one of the most valuable members of this community, who has given a great deal of his free time, and effort.

Suggesting that one-off, specific mods should be sponsored is not greedy, it's offering a reasonable option.

The fact that Vanilla is open source doesn't mean that all work done to extend it should be done for free.

@whu606 said:
    Srgamer

I'm guessing you meant that as a joke, but it isn't really how it comes across, imo.

peregrine is, imo, one of the most valuable members of this community, who has given a great deal of his free time, and effort.

Suggesting that one-off, specific mods should be sponsored is not greedy, it's offering a reasonable option.

The fact that Vanilla is open source doesn't mean that all work done to extend it should be done for free.

Yes this was a joke. Because believe it or not my forum, would look so bad without @peregrine plugins.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Srggamer

Cheers.

As I say, I thought it was, but over time others might not get that.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@Srggamer said:
    ... [a knee-slappin joke]...

I know you were thinking what you said was a joke. Because you will note of the 30 plugins - with the exception of 2 or 3 that were contracted out, all were provided free to the community with a request for donations.

I did, however, started asking for donations -

so here's my joke:

I feel like a waitress who provided good service to over 5000 customers, and only a fraction of them left a tip and one left an IOU note.

back to the topic. Although I believe this has been discussed and answered before. Nothing wrong with a re-hash of the same question though :).

@peregrine coffee please?

• @Srggamer said:
    bytte then what may be the problem? You get two, others get one, You are admin if you want none just in your notification say no emails. Untick all

I want them to only receive an email when a new discussion is posted. NOT when replies are made to discussions. (As I said in my initial post.)

What can I do?

@bytte said:
    What can I do?

User should go to there notifications, not control panel but theres.

• @Srggamer said:
    User should go to there notifications, not control panel but theres.

As said before, their settings are exactly as in the screenshot posted above. I totally don't see why my users get email notifications as soon as someone replies to a discussion.