Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla keeps logging me out after about 10 seconds (Wordpress + WP Vanilla Connect + jsConnect)

Hello,

I've searched extensively around the web for any similar problem, but haven't found one.

So, I have a WP site (v. 3.5.1) and decided to move to Vanilla (v. 2.0.18.8) after years of PhpBB. I'm happy with the forum itself, but this SSO (which is the reason I switched forum platform) is a pain in the ass. I use the embedded version of the forum.

After juggling with plugins on both sides - WP and Vanilla, I found a solution that worked. For about 10 seconds. I use WP Vanilla Connect on WP and jsConnect on Vanilla.

Here's how it works: After I log in to WP, Vanilla gives two options for logging in to the forum (which is embedded in one of the pages). No matter if I choose "Sign in with xxxxx" or "Sign in", login appears to work ok and lets me in, but after about 10-15 seconds, I'm automatically logged out no matter what I do, even if just wait. Back to "Howdy stranger".

Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Can you check your net traffic and see what ajax request is logging you out?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• tom762tom762 New
    edited May 2013

False alarm, stupid me. :[
    I had temporarily installed a second instance of Vanilla on the same server for testing purposes. It was obviously a cookie mix-up issue. Just fixed everything.
    Thanks anyway. :)

Thanks for posting back the answer :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• if you don't want the to happen use the same cookie hash for the testing forum.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks, but that's rocket science for me. ;) And I don't need it anymore.
    But I just ran into another problem, I'll open another discussion.

@x00 said:
    if you don't want the to happen use the same cookie hash for the testing forum.

I would be interested to know how you do this.

Search first

• $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Salt'] = 'SOMERANDOMCHARS';

grep is your friend.

@x00 wish I could give you five awesomes or something for that!

Search first

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

@hgtonight

you could use this also if you run two simultaneous versions of vanilla in your browser and you keep getting logged out.

$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Name'] = 'BlahBlah';

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine sugestion is a better suggestion if you want two independent forums

my suggestion only realy applies if you don't care about session mixup, and are using the global admin on the test forum

grep is your friend.

• AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

@peregrine said:
    hgtonight

you could use this also if you run two simultaneous versions of vanilla in your browser and you keep getting logged out.

$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Name'] = 'BlahBlah';

I'm running a couple of dev forums on the same server as my primary one, and this post just saved me a lot more cursing than I've already done. Thanks YAP :)