Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Will Autorefresh ever be part of Vanilla 2.1, or has it gone for good?

whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Not sure if any of the Vanilla bods will see this.

I understand that Autorefresh has been turned off in 2.1 as it was causing some problems.

Are there any plans to include it at some point?

The nature of our forum is to have a couple of very 'chatty' threads, and the regular users miss the feature.

If it's never coming back then I'll have to try to figure out something else.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• there are too many people on cheap setups, the less polling the better. It should be optional.

grep is your friend.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited June 2013

Hi x00

I agree it should be optional, and you should have to choose to turn it on.

However, in the 2.1 build it is not an option in the dashboard, and code for it is commented out in the relevant files.

Simply uncommenting them in my test site, and adding the setting to config caused a generic error notification 'There was a problem ...please try again' to appear.

I'll have one go at bumping this.

In addition to my own interests, I think it would be good if those of us who answer questions on here knew the definitive answer to this one.

@Lincoln - any chance you could spare a moment to let us know?

I guess this one isn't a priority...

It is important for my site since, in addition to 'conversation' type threads, we have a live thread whenever a match is being played.

In case it helps others,these are the workarounds I've suggested to my users:

Option A

Download and install Opera browser if you haven't got it.

Open any page on your forum site.

Click the right-hand button on your mouse.

About 6 options down you should see

Reload Every...

Click Custom

Set it to what you would like.

A slight drawback.

When you start to type a comment, the browser resets to Page Default.

This is a good thing, as it means that you won't lose part of a post if the page refreshes automatically, but it means you have to remember to reset Opera to your custom choice.

To go back to your refresh setting:

Right click

Reload Every

Custom

OK (it remembers your setting.)

Opera will remember the setting for the whole site.

A work around:

If you are happy to have two windows open at the same time, you could use a different browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome etc.) to make your posts. They will then automatically update in the Opera window, and you won't have to reset the Opera refresh rate.

An alternative, using Chrome

Download Chrome if you haven't got it.

Visit this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromereload/njoipeaphfnaplplihpbgndfojhdhmjo?hl=en

Click the Green 'Add to Chrome' button.

A 'reloader' icon will appear in the top right hand corner.

Click on that icon, and choose the rate you want.

Once you have chosen a refresh rate, a small countdown appears over the icon, to show you how long until the next refresh.

Drawback

It automatically refreshes, and if you are halfway through a comment, you will lose it.

Options:

A) Set a refresh rate higher than the forum's auto-draft rate.

B) Keep an eye on the countdown, and click the Save Draft button before the countdown gets down to 0