Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Making Visitors Close Messages

aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Vanilla Version: 2.1

Problem Page: Forum front page where messages are displayed

Problem: In settings, users have option to dismiss or close the message posted by admin. Is it possible to have same option to close the message for visitors? It is illogical to display welcome message again and again to some repeating visitor.

Reference image - this

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I can't think of an easy way to do this.

You would have to create a unique guest session for each visitor, no?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• only if you integrated something with matching ip addresses. but then again there would be flaws.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Rightaaa.

That's why I thought of hiding it with jquery instead.

Is this workaround good?

• It is illogical to display welcome message again and again to some repeating visitor.

the other option is to make it an autodismiss message that goes away by itself after a certain time for non-logged in users.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Autodismiss? Is it possible by jquery?

I know what I am exploring tonight.

Aha! setTimeout is the required function. Let me implement and check :)

• You can probably do something with cookies and some JavaScript.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app