HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Feedback for Bulk Invite

hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Please post all feedback here.

Thank you for trying my plugins!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Comments

• Options

Released version 1.1 which adds the ability to send out invitation codes.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Released version 1.2 which adds a config option to send an invite from any user, added view showing current invites sent from the configured user, and added quicklinks to uninvite and resend invites.

Also fixed a bug involving incorrect invitation insertion on some 2.0.18.8 installs.

To update, please upload a fresh copy, disable and re-enable via the dashboard.

Search first

• Options

This plugin and BulkEdit adds that extra layer of cake that admins and power users desire! It's a great feeling to have all of these things within easy reach!

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

Great work hg, thank you.

Now we have a way to kick start invite-only communities using an existing mailing list.

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited August 2013

Have you considered using Gdn_Email()->Bcc() to add multiple recipients? I believe it will reduce the number of emails that get sent out at once and let the email service handle it.

Also, this plugin would make a great example for a mass email and newsletter kind of plugin which would retrieve emails from roles and a user list.

• Options

@Shadowdare said:
    Have you considered using Gdn_Email()->Bcc() to add multiple recipients? I believe it will reduce the number of emails that get sent out at once and let the email service handle it.

Invites with codes have to be sent out separately.

This could be done for invites without codes. Would this put less strain on the system?

Search first

• Options
    edited August 2013

@hgtonight said:
    This could be done for invites without codes. Would this put less strain on the system?

For invites without codes, it will put less strain on the system depending on how many recipients the user enters in. Most people send mail through a local mail server instead of SMTP.

• Options

Do you have experience sending Bcc withou SMTP? An excerpt from the bundled /library/vendors/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php`:

/**
       * Adds a "Bcc" address.
       * Note: this function works with the SMTP mailer on win32, not with the "mail" mailer.
       * @param string $address
       * @param string $name
       * @return boolean true on success, false if address already used
       */

Does this mean bcc doesn't work with mail mailer? Or just doesn't work with win32 mail mailer?

Search first

• Options
    edited August 2013

I presume that Vanilla's PHPMailer functions will pass on the BCC headers as expected. I've sent emails with BCC header with the official PHP mail() successfully before. Easiest way to tell if it works is to try sending an email with BCC from Vanilla.

• Options

I am convinced, I will add it in next release.

Search first

• Options
    DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

I installed it today I have just upgraded to 18.8 because i relly wanted to use this Plugin but I get this error: > Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC in /home3/hannahas/public_html/ubon-expatsforum/plugins/BulkInvite/class.bulkinvite.plugin.php on line 164

• Options
    edited August 2013

What version of PHP are you using? Make sure it's newer than or equal to 5.3.

• Options

@DenisS I will be releasing a small point release today removing the requirement of PHP 5.3. I didn't realize late binding static linking was released in 5.3 (and therefore not available in PHP 5.2).

Search first

• Options

@Shadowdare In looking in to using Bcc field and mass sending out one message, I come across a conundrum. When sending out individually, the recipient sees their email address in the "To:" field. When sending out Bcc, the "To:" field is left blank.

To everyone, what would the preference be:

• Fill in the "To:" field with the support address ('Garden.Email.SupportAddress')
    • Leave "To:" field blank
    • Go back to individual mailings

Search first

• Options
    edited August 2013

It isn't a problem. I believe how the fields are displayed depends on the email handler. If you send an email with just the BCC field to a recipient who uses Gmail, it shows theur name and email as the recipient under the BCC field. It's the same thing as the "to" field, but the recipient's name will show up in the BCC field under it on the page, so it depends on how the email client displays it.

• Options

Released version 1.2.1 which aligns the PHP requirements with Vanilla, switches to Bcc if no invite codes are sent, and profile links of accepted invitations will work better.

Search first

• Options
    edited August 2013

When you send the original request is says this>
    Subject "Check out my sweet community!
    Heya!
    Check out the new community forum I've just set up. It's a great place for us to chat with each other online.
    Hope to see you there!
    http://www.surin-expatsforum.services-thai.com/entry/register/QAD4AFOI"

When you resend the message reads different >
    Subject " Surin Expats Forum] Invitation
    Hello!
    admin has invited you to join Surin Expats Forum. If you want to join, you can do so by clicking this link:

http://www.surin-expatsforum.services-thai.com/entry/register/UCZ0KA1W"

Was this intentional?

• Options

Is there a limit to the amount you can send to? As I have XL emails files with many email addresses. ( All Legal )

• Options

@DenisS said:
    Was this intentional?

Yes. The resend functionality uses core functionality to resend an invite. You can change the resend message using a translation or locale.

The only limit is your server configuration. I suggest using an external SMTP mail account for better performance.

Search first

• Options

when it say's pending does it mean not been sent? because they look like have been sent because it also says send again!