Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

confused about master branch and 2.1 beta releases

bobthemanbobtheman
edited September 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Someone help me understand this. On github the master branch is listed as,

"The master branch of the vanillaforums repository will always contain our latest production (release) code. It should be the most stable source code you can download from us, but also the oldest. "

However, im downloading and using the stable branch and the version from dashboard is listed as 2.2.3.11

yet, beta development is listed as 2.1 b2? What am I missing here? Is master really 2.2.3.11, or is this a bug as im not really using this version?

Also, are the changes made in 2.1 being pushed to 2.2 also?

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

not a direct answer to your question...

the version is always reflected in index.php

if you want 2.1b2 - the latest beta to test.

click here http://vanillaforums.org/get/vanilla-core-2.1b2

I believe trying to understand the reasoning and github naming conventions will tie your head up in knots. It's really not worth the effort.

They want capable testers to test this version http://vanillaforums.org/get/vanilla-core-2.1b2

you can download different core versions that are released here:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Master branch is the code being run on hosted Vanilla forums. It is not designed or tested to run on any architecture other than what Vanilla Inc. has to run their hosted forums. Do not run this on a production site as it is volatile and can't be supported properly. You are essentially on your own in terms of support.

The latest, stable version of Vanilla forums from an open source standpoint is still 2.0.18.8. It has been run and tested and many different servers and has been proven successful in the field. This is still the version I recommend for forum admins and is well suited for production sites. It is also well supported on this forum and is compatible with most addons in the repository here.

The latest, beta version of Vanilla forums from an open source standpoint is 2.1b2 as peregrine pointed out above. Only run this if you want to contribute to fixing bugs on GitHub (filing issues, pull requests, etc.). It can be supported here, but if you need to ask general questions about it, you probably shouldn't be running it.

Please search the forums first next time you have a question as I searched for "master branch" and found this post where I already explained this.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• bobthemanbobtheman
    edited September 2013

@Dr_Sommer said:
    Ah, ok.... Thanks for clarification... ;)
    I red many postings about the Verions and got all confused... ;)

So to round it up:

• 2.0.x Version is THE STABLE Version of Vanilla

• 2.1.x is the BETA Version (Next updated stable Version)

• 2.2.x Is an early ALPHA version

USE the 2.0. Version in productive systems

USE the 2.1. BETA for testing ONLY and post errors in Github

Don't have an "USE" for 2.2.... :D:D:D

Thanks.. ;)

absolutely no sense what so ever. 2.2 is "master", which is listed as ...
    "The master branch of the vanillaforums repository will always contain our latest production (release) code. It should be the most stable source code you can download from us, but also the oldest. New code only gets into master when we release a new version or create a hotfix."

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden

this doesnt match what lincoln is saying, and is confusing as crap. What it looks like, is 2.2 is stable for .com customers, self hosters get 2.1 .. which is crap.

if its semantics, perfect, just fix the branch labeling on github.

• 2.2 is latest 'cutting edge' release and I would only use it if I was developing plugins to make sure I keep up with the latest code.

Consider it an early alpha for the self hosted users (.org)

What the hosted solution is doing with 2.2, we can't really see that, can we?

Why not stick with 2.1 for now? We're on beta 2 and it will take a while before we go RC and final. No confusion, just bug reports to filter through

There was an error rendering this rich post.