Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

2 Panels

AviramAviram
edited December 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello, I'm a new Vanilla Forums user and I wonder how can I make my site have 2 panels?
I'm not sure if I literally want 2 Panels but I just want to place a vertical ad in parallel to the panel I have. (I have RTL'd my theme because it's hebrew so panel is on the right side if it matters)
Thanks in advance!
Edit: Also I have a problem, Guests can see link to Dashboard Settings on main menu (Other users except for admin cannot, as it should be)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

You can add the markup for a second column in your custom theme's default.master.tpl file. You will have to add the CSS rules in your custom theme's custom.css file.

For more information about working with Vanilla's master templates, check out the community wiki's article on custom themes.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    AviramAviram
    edited December 2013

@hgtonight said:
    Welcome to the community!

You can add the markup for a second column in your custom theme's default.master.tpl file. You will have to add the CSS rules in your custom theme's custom.css file.

For more information about working with Vanilla's master templates, check out the community wiki's article on >custom themes.

Thanks but I've already tried that. I've added another div after the original panel div and added my code there, but the div overwritten a bit of the Content asset (I added a div and made it float left instead of right like the right panel)
    Also I edited my original post with the following issue "Also I have a problem, Guests can see link to Dashboard Settings on main menu (Other users except for admin cannot, as it should be)"

• Options

You will have to redo the CSS declarations since the default system is looking for a 2 column layout. For more information on CSS layouts, check out this page: http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/. If you want to know more about how these work, I highly suggest: http://learnlayout.com/.

As far as the dashboard link, how are you adding the dashboard link?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    AviramAviram
    edited December 2013

@hgtonight said:
    You will have to redo the CSS declarations since the default system is looking for a 2 column layout. For more information on CSS layouts, check out this page: http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/. If you want to know more about how these work, I highly suggest: http://learnlayout.com/.

As far as the dashboard link, how are you adding the dashboard link?

Thanks for the answers.
    I'm using Nebula theme and I didn't edit anything in there yet except for the CSS..

• Options

Which version of Nebula?

5.1 uses the smarty plugin to display the link, so assuming your permissions aren't messed up for the guest, it shouldn't be displayed.

Search first

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    Which version of Nebula?

5.1 uses the smarty plugin to display the link, so assuming your permissions aren't messed up for the guest, it shouldn't be displayed.

I'm using the latest. My permissions for the guest might be problematic tho as I set them myself after importing, also I found out that all users can see the link.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You can try my theme DeepSpace. It has several customizations like that.

Two extra panels, and a parallax content at the bottom. You can use it as a guide to make your own multi column theme.

It is not hard to do it. I prefer using a php based theme for this.