Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Auto-refresh in 2.1b2?

Has the auto-refresh option been removed from Vanilla 2.1? I can't find it in Dashboard.

Tagged:

Comments

• yes iirc , I think it was discussed in the forum before. you could maybe search for that discussion and it might have a work-around.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Okay, so I understand the auto-refresh is turned off in 2.1 and we still don't know if it'll come back. That's a bummer.

Is this also the reason why in 2.1b2 the ShwaipBot responses do not appear instantly after posting a "muffin man" message? In 2.0.18.9 the response appears in the browser immediately even if the auto-refresh is disabled.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

2.0.18 would do a new query for the current comment and any subsequent comments. In 2.1 it only returns 1 comment every time.

• Well the way 2.0.18 is refreshing the comment list is very cool. It's one of the reasons I like Vanilla, because it makes the discussion more dynamic.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

It also murders the performance of large sites the way it is. :/

• Basically anything that is polling the site constantly with multiple users leaving tabs open will Muller the site, unless they invest in some serious infrastructure. it is the same for self hosted basic ajax chatroom, etc.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Would it really hurt to get the updated comments on comment save? Or on preview? Or on draft save?

Since you are already making the request, it would be nice to add in any updated comments.

As it stands right now, I have to hit save draft and refresh the page to prevent cross posting.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I would love to have a refresh on preview!
    I write my posts in new tabs, check in another tab if recent discussions shows a change and if yes, I open up a new browser, if no, I return to my tab with the post it and finally post my comment :\

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight Yes, because we can't cache that query. Selecting 1 by key is fast. Caching the whole page of comments is fast. Selecting an arbitrary range, not fast.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2013

@x00 said:
    Basically anything that is polling the site constantly with multiple users leaving tabs open will Muller the site, unless they invest in some serious infrastructure.

Actually it kills it with some serious infrastructure :D

• x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2013

What i ment is infrastructure specifically optimised with this sort of thing. However the architecture has to match, websockets, etc.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited December 2013

My (probably naive) solution to this would be to pull the entire discussion and make javascript do the sorting of what to actually show.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@hgtonight That's actually possibly a solid solution. I'd kinda like to see this brought back too. I don't think it's in the cards for 2.1 at this point, but I'll make a note to see what Todd thinks about trying it in develop.