Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New members are given moderator and admin roles by default

Hi,
I recently imported a forum from phpBB3 into the latest stable version of Vanilla, and I've got a problem: New members who confirm their email are automatically assigned the Members, Moderators, and Administrator roles by default.

From the inconclusive googling I did, it looks like you can edit that in conf/config.php, but I have no idea what to change in the Default Roles line (if that's what you need to change). Here it is from my config.php:
$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['DefaultRoles'] = 'a:8:{i:0;s:1:"2";i:1;s:1:"4";i:2;s:1:"6";i:3;s:1:"8";i:4;s:2:"16";i:5;s:2:"18";i:6;s:2:"20";i:7;s:2:"21";}';

Would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Install another version of the latest stable version of Vanilla, which is 2.0.18.10. Now you know the default roles in config.php and you can match / replace those roles in your phpbb conversion config.php.

Your default role IDs in your phpbb config are : 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, 18, 20 and 21 and that's a bit too much for a default role.
    Match them in your database, so you know which roles to take out of that config.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• if member is id 8 and you want your default role to be member.

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['DefaultRoles'] = 'a:1:{i:0;s:1:"8";}';

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You can also set the default roles through the dashboard at http://forum.exampl.com/dashboard/role/defaultroles.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited January 2014

@hgtonight said:
    You can also set the default roles through the dashboard at http://forum.exampl.com/dashboard/role/defaultroles.

Thank you, this is the post that solved it the easiest :)

Thanks everyone for your help!