Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Comment Notifications

HI,

I am using Version 2.0.18.8

I have users telling me they aren't getting their comment reply notifications. I've searched the forum and found several threads explaining some advanced fixes. What I'm looking for is the BASIC info though, like where in the dashboard this is controlled etc. I want to start there.

Right now members do not have advanced notification settings enabled, is this necessary in order to have the emails sent for follow up replies? I didn't think so but thought I'd ask.

Lastly, I've checked the users in question and they have all the options setup in preferences to receive notifications.

Thanks so much!

PS I am NOT a developer, so think of me as a general user but the administrator of a forum.....

Tagged:

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited January 2014

Welcome to the community!

Notifications aren't sent out for comment replies. They can be sent out for mentions, replies to discussions (op only), and for bookmarked discussions.

If they want to receive a notification on every reply, have them bookmark the discussion.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

I actually made a plugin that notifies when someone has commented on but I forgot to release it for some reason.

Note I suggest you don't have this preference on by default, it can actually be quite annoying for some.

grep is your friend.

• Does anyone know of an addon that sends notifications to all whenever a comment or new discussion is created? For my forum this would be very useful and shouldn't result in much email noise. What would be even better would be a periodic email digest of activity e.g.

Topic blah: 1 new comment
    Topic bleugh: 3 new comments

but I understand that such a plugin if it existed would require interaction with cron and may not be trivial to configure.