Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Strange Javascript Error (Screenshots)

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi all,

I have a strange Javascript error that happens once in a while and is not possible to reproduce easily. Vanilla 2.0.18.10

After a certain while there appears an error-popup on my forums. There is no error message displayed and the popup appears to be empty. You could just make out a little white "X" for closings the message and the semi-transparent black border, that is usually around Vanilla error messages (from the original theme style.css). I attached a screenshot (the white "X" is very hard to see).

It happens once in a while on the desktop and the mobile version. My users are not able to click anywhere then and are quite irritated (they are not awaiting an error and it's not very visible). I checked in the Firebug Console to find out more and i'm not really able to read it but, it's clearly that the Javascript is not getting loaded anymore (red lines > see the screenshot). I have no clue when or why (for what reasons) it happens, i just can tell it happens after a certain while.

Does anyone have an idea or knows the problem?
Is this the problem why the message refresh was not taken to the newer 2.1+ version of Vanilla?

-
I've brought this topic up once but the information i could give was not enough to help identify the problem for the ones trying to help here (i also couldn't found the thread anymore here in the forums).

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited August 2014

Hi everybody,

Does anyone have an idea, what this could be about?

I still have this problem that the Popup, appears and block the whole screen until you click on "X". It's not easy to determine how, when and why it appears. It happens regulary if you surf more than plus minus 5-10 minutes on the site. And it takes over the whole screen.

Maybe it has something to do with a notification check that is done in the background?

Another screen with appearance and HTML source attached.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Shouldn't be too hard to track it down if it happens frequently. Browse with your network tools open (Ctrl + Shift + Q in Firefox). When you see the issue, inspect the requests and see what caused the popup.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• the x pops up usually if there is an error during the posting of something.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• In 2.0.18 I sometimes had similar random errors, where an error page (500) would get pulled into the informMessage and freeze.

I wasn't using the Autorefresh, but I at least had the draft autosaving and whosonline constantly polling the server, which would sometimes deny requests then. Is your hoster throttling requests?