Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Auto choose language from the browser language

basjbasj New
edited March 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello,
I just installed this locale : http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vf_fr_fr-locale
and enabled it in the dashboard.

How to make that a french user (ie who has a browser with default "browser language" = FR) automatically sees the forum in french ("Toutes les discsussions" instead of "All discussions") when going on the forum's hompage ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• This assumes that browser even send the Accept-Language header of course. It require development but is possible.

I'll PM you.

grep is your friend.

• basjbasj New
    edited March 2014

Thanks for your answer. Ok I understand that it's not available with the current code, and it needs developement. I will think about this.

Something maybe easier : is there an URL writing technique that allows to change language / locale ?

Example :

Is there such way of writing the URL that allows another language ?

• do you mean, by default (without this plugin), it is impossible to have multiple locales available ?

why is it possible to enable many locales in "Dashboard > Addons > Locales" then ?

(I'm asking these questions to understand how it works internally).

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

why is it possible to enable many locales in "Dashboard > Addons > Locales" then ?

I've wondered this as well. it may be that enabling multiple locales makes things work with multilingual plugin.
    Otherwise only the default locale you selected is looked at, as far as I recall.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.