Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Trying everything—Errors updating to 2.1

kacebokacebo New
edited May 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm trying to update to 2.1 from 2.0.18.3.

I initially got the "something went wrong" page after trying to upgrade my database, with a permissions error on the compile directory.

Changing the permission allowed the update to complete, with a success message. Below that, however, were these three lines:

Need to re-index theme cache

Need to re-index plugin cache

Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0

I can view my forum, post comments, and view the dashboard. If I try to change anything in the dashboard relating to a theme or plugin, the page will refresh without any changes made. I can't activate/deactivate plugins, themes, change homepage views, etc.

I've read the troubleshooting guides. I've disabled all plugins through config.php

I might add that I've already done this successfully. I installed the database and all files for this forum onto another server and then upgraded to 2.1. It worked without a hitch. I really can't figure out what's going on this time around.

Please help!

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014
    Need to re-index theme cache

Need to re-index plugin cache

you will always see the above - ignore them. - not a point to concern yourself.

wrong permissions on conf folder and config.php will prevent you from enabling themes and plugins.

check your ownership and permissions.

fixing folder and file permissions and ownership - should resolve this below (which you don't want to see)

Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Oh man, it was config.php

So simple, yet so frustrating. Thanks for the speedy help!

• But wait! So soon as I was able to activate a new theme, I went back to look at the forum as saw this error again:

Smarty error: unable to write to $compile_dir '/var/www/vhosts/zenyatta.com/httpdocs/forum/cache/Smarty/compile'. Be sure $compile_dir is writable by the web server user.

Permissions on compile are 755

what's wrong?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

kacebo said:
    Permissions on compile are 755

755 means nothing without knowing ownership of the files and knowing ownership of your web process.

depends who the owner is.

if the owner or group can't write to it - therein lies your problem.

7xx if the owner of the web process is the same as the owner of the folder you are fine.
    otherwise not.

check out a tutorial on file ownership and permissions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thank you!