Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Sign-in Error

When anyone tries to sign in it just returns 'Please try again' even if the password is correct. I can reset the password and it will automatically log me in, but if I log out and try to sign in again, it just returns the same error.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

which version of vanilla?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

The latest version.

• Options

do a search on forum "latest version"

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

do you allow cookies in your browser?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2014

This is happening on Dave Mason's forum as well. (2.1).. It won't let me in and have to hit forgot and get a code to reset password . Then if I log out, it will happen again.

It does not happen with any of my forums so far. But it is happening to people. Maybe it is the same thing that was happening here a week ago...

• Options

are the transient keys being kept.

is magic quotes on or off.

• Options

on Dave's forum which I am admin so I can help him, he has the same plugins I have going on. Nothing ultra special.

Using my theme GreenGlass which he had also prior to upgrade. I have no idea what he has going on in the his files system and db no access to that had not not needed it....

He has SSL on all the time. That was like that before too.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@peregrine said:
    are the transient keys being kept.

is magic quotes on or off.

I have no idea about ssl aspect but...

install version check plugin and look at phpinfo which is an option to look at magic_quotes settings.
    no idea if magic quotes on would affect signing in (but it could affect cookies) could be a red herring, but worth a look nevertheless.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/versioncheck-plugin

just one thing to rule out. simple answer is it (magic_quotes) on or off.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

you should also be able to see the Transient key (check to see if it changes or is set after first signin). it should stay the same through entire session.

in firefox under Net

then click on a POST

e.g. if I can upload screenshot

• Options
    FerrariSteveFerrariSteve Seattle

Any progress with this? I'm experiencing this same issue using 2.1 stable.

But that's not very stable if users can't sign in... Yikes.

• Options

No but would appreciate @Tim shed some light on how he fixed it for this forum...

• Options

That was a cross post from FerrariSteve, he created his own topic here : http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/27423/vanilla-2-1-stable-user-passwords-don-t-work

There was an error rendering this rich post.